Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Betta with a belly

Started by KLKelly, July 07, 2007, 10:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

Posted in wrong section.  Please move :)
I picked up my first betta at the auction before last (from Tim's bettas)

I noticed after I set him up and was able to observe him that he has a big belly that I don't see in others pictures of their bettas.

Its like he's swallowed a small marble.

He is only fed a tiny amount once a day (five tiny baby cichlid pellets - smaller than betta pellets or a couple small bloodworms).  He is like this 100% of the time - not just after eating.

Is this common or something I should keep an eye on?  (He's a bubblenest builder and is active)

rXcanadensis

Hmm... If he's building a bubblenest and he's active I guess there's nothing wrong... Maybe he's constipated? But if he were sick he would look sick and act weird... Maybe make him fast for a day just to see...

plecoL83

Bizzare... it could be bloat but I'd have to know how's he's acting.

KLKelly

I emailed Tim.  Here is his response:
"Hi Karrie,  Bloat can be caused by three things: 1. constipation (feeding baby brine shrimp should help) 2. kidney problems causing water retention (a teaspoon of salt should help that) 3. mycobacterium infection from contact with guppies or other fish. ( no cure - if scales are sticking staight out from body when looking from above then this bacterial infection is confirmed). That's about all I can tell you without seeing the fish. Hoping he recovers."

He was like this when I bought him at the May Ovas auction.  I doubt he'd be constipated that long.  If it was kidney problems wouldn't he be dropsied?  Scales arent sticking out just that big belly! 3.  Unless he was exposed to mycobacterium at his site this wouldn't be possible.  New tank and every tank I have has their own tools/water change supplies and I never do more than one tank a day for maintenance.

So... if it is bloat - will salting his tank help him?
He is eating well, actively swimming and making bubblenests.

babblefish1960

If, as you say, he is eating, pooping, swimming normally, building bubblenests and all that good stuff, it may well just be a personal defect in his character and I would be inclined to leave him alone, watch him of course, but don't fret, the betta obviously isn't.

KLKelly

Sounds like a good plan to me  :)  Thanks.

fishycanuck

What he said, plus - a shelled pea is a good "cleaner outer" for bettas. He doesn't need to be fed every day, either.
That being said, if it doesn't bother him, leave him be.

babblefish1960

Having had such good advice from so many here, I have to tell you that someone who knows quite a bit, took a look at the picture, along with your description and has determined that this is a classic text book case of a tumour. Having said that, the facts remain the same, the peas for dinner, regular food and such, just leave him alone otherwise and expect that he will live a long and interesting life just the same. It is just for your information as there is nothing that one can do about it, nor should you, and it really doesn't affect the fish either, other than a certain swagger when they swim.

KLKelly

Thanks Babble.  I knew something wasn't right but he's acting so normal. I hope he can thrive for a long time - I get attached to every fish.

He's been chasing around newly hatched brine shrimp.  I couldn't believe he could see them.

Thanks again.

babblefish1960

You're welcome, I am assured that it will in no way adversely affect his life, either duration or quality.

bettabreeder

i found that just befor my betta spawned he looked like that. after the spawning he lost the belly fat.