Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Can MTS Manifest It's Self As A Singleton?

Started by RossW, July 08, 2007, 03:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossW

I started w/ my first tank about 6 weeks ago, a 10g.

I recently purchased a 25g and 32g tank.  I just finished seting up the 25 and started the cycle.

Here is the catch... I am thinking I may enjoy one LARGE tank instead of several small ones scattered around the house.

Could this be a varient of MTS? ;-)

babblefish1960

Absolutely, it is called BTS, (bigger tank syndrome) size does matter, gallons do count, it follows the errant logic that one may have gotten rid of two or three smaller tanks, say a couple of 20 gallons and a 30 gallon, and replaced them with one lone tank of say 120 gallons, now if you do the math, you may have replaced 3 tanks with 1 tank, which at first glance seems like downsizing, however, you swapped out 70 gallons of annoyance for an extra 50 gallons more! So you see, it is a win win situation, or a losers folly, it really depends if justification is required for a spousal unit or not.

Once you have some special fish breeding in your bigger tank, you will be adding back the smaller tanks for the babies, all I can say now is welcome to the dark side of the hobby! ;)

mseguin

At one point a year or two ago, I had 9 tanks at one point, biggest being 33 gal. Now I am down to 3, a 5 gal, a 90 gal, and a new 58 gal, so yeah, sometimes reducing number of tanks can mean increasing fishkeeping. :-)

plecoL83

I upgraded from a 10g to a 50 and now I'm thinking of a 75g if I get rid of all the 10 20 and 30's in my basement...What I'll put in it, no idea... :D

kennyman

But you never seem to get rid of those little ones though. A 10 for quarantine and a 20 or 2 in case you have to do some breeding or propagating. Oh and of course there is a bunch of bottles and what not raising live food or green water :D

But those don't count anymore because they are just support equipment for the display tanks right  ::)

dan2x38

Welcome to the Dark Side like babblefish said...  :D You got a bad case of MTS...  ;D x 1000 affects some quicker than others... don't fight just hang in there you and your fish will survive if you just get help...  ::) oh yeah and the wife gets counseling...

I am adding another 29... with a few small ones: 20, 30, 40 you can have different fish that may not get along or different water perimeters... good luck...  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

Sometimes it's not the wives that need counseling, but husbands :).  I just set up the tank for my CPD's with a promise that it'll be the last one until we re-do the basement and put a huge built in tank down there.

dan2x38

I think there is a new 12 step group called, 'Fish Tanks Anonymous'!  8) The first step is admitting you have a problem...  :D
Voltaire:

hamstercaster

I was cured of MTS but got hit by the BTS just this past weekend.  My tank started leaking and after getting some worthy advice from Babblefish, it was decided that I was better off getting a new tank instead of trying to fix the leaking one...  So off to Big Al's I go thinking that a 75 would be a good replacement for a 55... same foot print lenght and height wise but deeper by 6 inches... Try selling that to the wife hehehe... she says, 150$ for a 75?  I'd rather you take a 55 since it will surely be much cheaper.. say 110$ or something... Lo and behold, a 75 is actually just 10$ more than a 55... go figure lol... so back on my way home I was with a 75 instead lol.... now I needed to find a stand for the unit and had to do so quickly as my fishies were somewhat agressive in their new reduced home, a rubbermaid bin... so had to fork out some money for a stand too lol...

Anyway, all this to say that I was hit by BTS... but come to think of it... maybe Babblefish pushed me into the darkside by lying about the chances of success if I repaired my tank so to force me on the dark side of the hobby  :D :D  I'm sure his Joda like mind was sending me brainwaves tyring to force me to replace my 55 with something bigger lol..

Lucie

Hi guys,
I just wanted to add that although i'm a newcomer to the hobby, i seem to be suffering from both MTS and BTS! I just upgraded to a 55g, and was wondering what I should do with my 25g (36"w) or my 10g, or both... I'm glad you guys are there with your good advice. I also seem to be addicted to this OVAS website!!!!

dan2x38

Just don't fight it...

If you do not have a QT then keep the 10g at least. The 25g be nice for a small species tank?
Voltaire:

Brine

Great Thread...
My two cents....bigger tank syndrome DOES NOT negate multiple tank syndrome. Here is what happened to me. My X bought me a 15G starter kit. Then next week I bought a 35G kit. Then my friend Keil was selling off some 20G longs for only $20 bucks...who could resist that. Soon enough I had 9 tanks. Here is the lesson....if you have an empty tank you are not using YOU WILL find something that is SOOOO COOL you just have to have it and it would go just PERFECTLY in that spare tank. So if you have spare tanks you will fill them not matter what the size. And if you read the posts here and elsewhere you will see deals to good to be passed up and so you will get some new stock for your empty tank or some new tanks because they are SUCH a good deal.

My friend Keil has a 540G (amongst others) you can see it here....be sure to note the milk crate in front. It gives a great idea of the scale of this thing
http://www.kwas.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2579&page=3

and the biggest of all of course is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWHSbu6kLwk&NR=1