Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tank Builder not far from here.

Started by Shrimpy, July 08, 2007, 11:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDaddy

Quote from: DarkDep on July 10, 2007, 10:07:47 AM
He has about 24 of those 55gallon tanks.  I'm in for a truck trip.

Pay for the gas, and I'll take ya.. with the back seats gone there's over 100 cubic feet of space in the back of my truck.

babblefish1960

Shrimpy

Just got back from Ron's place in Flinton. Really nice guy. Been into the fish trade for over 20 years. At one time he said he had over a 100 different species of fish he was raising.  :o He used to sell fish to fish stores from Ottawa to Toronto.

Anyway he has alot of tanks. He has twenty two used 55 gallon tanks he wants to get rid of as a package at $35/tank. He not selling them individually at this time. He will build new 55 gallon tanks no problem with trim. He can also build 70 gallon tanks, but not in a rectangular pattern. They are almost a square shape. I think he said 36x28x16. I could be wrong though. His tanks are made with recycled glass. He has a whole room full of little tanks (2 gallon maybe in size) that he sells for like $3. If you want him to make you a new tank or want to go see him please call in advance. He requires a small deposit on any tank you want built new as people have ordered before and never shown up.

It's worth a look especially if you want lots of tanks for low cost. i.e. fish wall, breeding, etc...

My plan was to go back in either August or September and get 2 new 55 gallon tanks. One with trim for salt water and one without for a sump, but now I'm thinking about maybe getting 2 display 55's and a 70 for a sump. Have not decided totally yet. :)

He is exactly 129 km's from the intersection of Hwy 15 and Hwy 7 in Carleton Place. It took me 1 hour and 20 minutes to get to his place from Carleton Place, but I drive a little faster than most people.  ::)

Anyway I hope this info helps. Oh I also told him to check out this great site too! :)

littlelil

hey if you are all worried about having to buy all 22 tanks i'm sure cumulatively, there will be more than enough people here who wants one or two or more to make up 22. .. .. i'm not sure where this discussion is headed... i'm interested in one or two if this happens... and someone is going out to make a bulk purchase. i can even pitch in to the gas fund, too!

Severum

I would potentially be interested in a 55 gallon for my display but being used I worry about the scratches. Its a shame his 70s don't come in rectangular long as I would be all over that!  :(
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Alchemist

He said he would build sumps from scratch too but he would need a plan to work from.

bitterman

Does anyone have an e-mail for this guy? Or is it best to phone?

I am hoping to drive up there on the 26th and hopefully pickup 4 5-6 feet tanks, as long as the price is right (Wife permision part is the price).

I woudl like 6, but Hmmm not sure if that will work with the wife as I negotiated up to 4 from 3

Bruce

Shrimpy

You are better off to phone. I don't think he makes fish tanks that large though. Only reptile tanks. The biggest fish tank he makes is 70 gallon. He mostly makes 55's or smaller. You can contact him through ebay if you have an account. :)

bitterman

Thanks I'll call tonight. On the ebay post he has the following listed:

Q: Would you make any aquarium larger that a 70g? I'm looking for a tank either 60x24x24 or 72x24x24. Also can you drill tanks?    08-Jul-07
A:     Hello, I can make a tank 60 X 21 X 21 =114 GALLONS with three supports, one on each end and one in the middle, 3/16 glass. Included would be two slidding glass tops for $100.00 60 X 24 X 24 = 150 GALLONS with three glass supports and two slidding glass lids 1/4 inch glass = $150.00 72 X 24 X 24 =180 GALLONS, with three glass supports and two slidding glass lids, 1/4 inch glass = 180.00 I don`t have a diamond drill anymore, so no holes. thank you for you questions.

So from that I see the following sizing/prices:
60 X 21 X 21 =114 GALLONS  for $100.00
60 X 24 X 24 =150 GALLONS  for $150.00
72 X 24 X 24 =180 GALLONS  for $180.00

So from that I think I am going with 4x114 Gallon tanks, hmmm maybe he will use the thicker glass for them. That will fill the back of my truck! and then some!

I tried to contact him through ebay, but since my account was just created, I have to wait 3 days before I can PM him. Darn ebay lol

Bruce

Shrimpy

That's if he has the glass available. Most of the glass he gets is 1/4" though and that's why he normally doesn't go bigger than 70g's.

Let me know if he can do it. I'll order a 180 right away if he can. :)

bitterman

So far not 100% sure if he can do 180's yet I am getting 2 60x22x22's (About 114 gallons each) , He will let me know lf/when he can build them for me.

Bruce

Alchemist

Those are for holding water right?  Not the reptile ones???

bitterman

Quote from: Alchemist on August 13, 2007, 04:18:04 PM
Those are for holding water right?  Not the reptile ones???

Yes they are for hold water/fish, I made that very clear. The glass is thinner then some aquariums, but the top is braced alot to add to the strength to make it strong enough and safe.

Bruce

bitterman

I picked up 4 tanks on the weekend from this guy,
http://ovas.ca/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=190;u=531

I got 2 72"x24"x24" and 2 60"x24"x21" tanks.  They look very nice. I was really nervious for the trip home as I had the 2 smaller tanks stacked ontop of the bigger tanks. So far so good... They are at home ;D  NExt to ge them drilled  :) and do a test fill of water. Then Fish time :)

Ron is a very nice guy. He builds everything out of glass! He even has some nice Brine shrimp hatcheries he makes out of glass.

Bruce

darkdep

bitterman

Quote from: DarkDep on August 27, 2007, 08:39:57 AM
Are those integrated glass tops?

Yes,  The tops of the tanks have bracing on both ends and the center (This is to increase the strength as the glass is thinner then open top tanks). In between the bracing are sliding glass tops, that can be easily removed for transportation and more rigorous aquarium maintenance.

Bruce

bitterman

I filled one of the 60"x24"x21" tanks last night.. All is doing well. Got 500 Watts of heater in it and the water went from high 30's-40's to 74 F over night. Also a small filter on it to keep water moving until I get the spong filters in it with the fish.

bitterman

Well folks,  as you know I purchased 4 tanks from this Discount Glass in Flinton (Ron Caruana). Two 60"x24"x21" tall and two 72"x24"x24"tall tanks.

This was the only tank I filled:

After being up and running for a couple/few weeks it litterally exploded. I was reassued by Ron "My tanks are very strong" and Ron siad"The braceing allows me to use thinner glass". I questioned him many times on the stregth and his answer was always the same that ther was no problem. He had me convinced. "The only problem I have ever had was with 1 of my aquariums and it was a pinhole"

I am in contact with Ron and waiting to see what he will do for me. I had originally told Him I would not post on the forum, but I have not heard from him since Thursday and I getting the feeling he is ignoring the issue. I have not filled any other tanks and as I asume they will have the same fate.

After doing extensive reading (I have originally found and used some calculations on the net, but they were wrong) I have since lookd around som more and found many references to anything over 14-18" for 1/4" glass is not advisable and will result in a ticking time bomb.

This give a good overview (Basically 9-12mm glass should have been used)
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/aquariumdiy/l/blcustomtank.htm

This is a warning for anyone looking for larger tanks from Ron. Smaller tanks might be perfectly fine. I have ALOT of $$$$$$$ in water damage and I'm out the price of the tanks, gas to pick them up etc etc..

Bruce

fyrebull

Did he tell you that the front and bottom where tempered, because I can see from the photo that the bottom is not tempered glass.