Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

T5 Bulbs: NO vs HO

Started by darkdep, July 10, 2007, 11:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

I built my fishwall with Arc T5HO Bulbs because they were cheap...

...And I got what I paid for.  Damn things all burned out within 6 months.  My fishwall now has NO LIGHTS!!!

I've called around.  I only use the lights for illumination purposes; I don't grow any plants (other than Java Fern, but that's pretty low light).  I keep all Africans.  I just want to see my fish!

I don't want to buy Arc bulbs again; waste of money.  I can't seem to find any T5HO bulbs anywhere that meet my needs. 

I'm thinking of retrofitting everything to use T5 Normal Output bulbs instead; and probably doubling them up.  Am I likely to see much of a diff between 1 x 22" T5HO 28W vs 2 x 22" T5NO 14W?  Will I need to get another Ballast or can I wire the bulbs in series?

BigDaddy

Litemore carries them APW.

As far as the retrofitting goes, really depends on what kind of ballast you have.  Some you may be able to run dual bulbs with, others not likely

darkdep

Litemore is on the other side of the city tho; it's hard for me to get out there during business hours.  Buchanan doesn't, and neither does the EP Store.

The Coralife bulbs BA carries are $16.99 for a NO, which isn't that disgusting (Buchanan had similar but 4100k bulbs at $12.50).  Any idea what Litemore charges for something like this?

BigDaddy

Litemore sells a 14W NO for $9 and a 35WHO for $6

Suck it up and special order the 35W units.  At 6 bucks, you can't go wrong.  I'm sure someone could pick them up for you, given the right motivation  ;)

mseguin

SP have T5HO bulbs on sale right now, half price

darkdep

Nice!  Now THAT is close enough :)

dan2x38

Quote from: DarkDep on July 10, 2007, 03:07:51 PM
Nice!  Now THAT is close enough :)

If you know exactly what ya need I will pick em' up for you. But I got no idea about that lighting or limited knowledge so need exact discription...  ::) Just pay for my gas maybe call them first and pay by Visa over the phone. Let me know if you want. I am heading out tomorrow going to the doctor be a good day to do it. My apponitment is in the AM on Riverside.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

darkdep

Thanks Dan; Litemor can special order the stuff I'd like but doesn't have anything in stock.

I'm going to check out SP tonight as they might have what I need at 50% off.

dan2x38

Quote from: DarkDep on July 10, 2007, 03:44:28 PM
Thanks Dan; Litemor can special order the stuff I'd like but doesn't have anything in stock.

I'm going to check out SP tonight as they might have what I need at 50% off.

on Merivale they have some 50% off... not sure about the rest...
Voltaire:

babblefish1960

Quote from: mseguin on July 10, 2007, 02:29:50 PM
SP have T5HO bulbs on sale right now, half price
As the man says, that is all four Superpets in the city.

darkdep

I ended up picking up 4 bulbs from SP Kanata in two colour temps (to see which I preferred).  $14.99 each, which is fantastic as they are an "aquatic" brand, and I was quoted $12.50 from Buchanan.

Gonna go back and pick up some more to outfit all the rest of my tanks that are limping along on shoplights (and give the shoplights to the fry tanks).

mseguin

Just thought I'd mention that the T5HO ballasts and reflectors are also on sale for 50% off.

darkdep

You have Ballasts too?  Damn, how'd I miss those?

Rough Price of those?  (PM if you want)

mseguin

I Honestly can't remember off the top of my head, but I beleive the ballasts were around 59.97 regular for the 2x54W, but don't quote me

dan2x38

Quote from: DarkDep on July 10, 2007, 09:02:37 PM
You have Ballasts too?  Damn, how'd I miss those?

Rough Price of those?  (PM if you want)

no blasts at Merivale... was there the other day... they have reflecters...
Voltaire:

Sue

SP Orleans had some reflectors and actinic T5HO left when we were there last Sunday. (75% off not 50!) They might of had a few ballast/endcap kits left I don't remember if we bought the last one or not.

darkdep

Last night I went back into Kanata SP and picked up some 48" LifeGlo bulbs and two Hagen Ballast Kits.  I was super surprised to see that the ballast kits came with power cord, switch, waterproof endcaps, all properly wired.  This isn't the way I'm used to doing lights :)  These things are a STEAL.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to fire *1* bulb with the ballast; I think you HAVE to use 2.  I had planned to use one of the ballasts to run a single bulb for now...sigh.  Gotta go spend more tonight :)

BigDaddy

See, if you'd have been patient and ordered through Litemore you'd be SAVING more money instead of SPENDING more  ;)

darkdep

Yeah, but then I'd be WAITING more too.  :)

And, I'm not sure I'd be saving.  Those Hagen Ballast kits, at $29 for the 2x39w and $34 for the 2x54w are fantastic.  I would have paid $~50 for a Workhorse, had to run around buying endcaps, wire, switch, etc, and build the thing (and for me, time is very limited).  I figure I saved enough on the ballasts to justify the rest.

dan2x38

SP Orleans is picked pretty clean they are changing over on the 22nd. Yesterday was there they got: 22", 34", 46" T5HO tubes at 75% off but no blasts... not alot else out there though...  ???
Voltaire: