Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

More questions (tank weight etc)

Started by KLKelly, July 10, 2007, 02:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

More questions for you guys.

I'm getting a deal on a 46 gallon long.  I don't have the measurements yet.

1.  Based on this site  (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_weight.php) - each gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon   Only moon sand, small potted plants and no rocks.  Rainbowfish weight is negligible.  So at least 384lbs plus the weight of the tank????  Can that be right?   I was going to ask if this coffee table would be able to hold it.

I don't think I'll risk it.  Great now a stand will be needed on top of a glass top and new lighting.  I might have to forgo the 46 gallon for now and keep them in their 10 gallons :(  Which means no more gobies :(

If and when I get a stand...

2.  I don't think a divider would be easy to find.  Since this tank is empty... Could I use plexiglass with a ton of teeny holes drilled and silicon on each side of the plexiglass to make a divider?  Would this be aquarium safe?  (each side would have a filter anyways)

darkdep

Yes, that is right.  The easiest way to calculate capacity is to assume an average of 10lb per Gallon; this takes into account gravel and some rocks, plus the weight of the tank itself.  So, your 46gallon tank should be assumed to weigh 460lbs.

There is no way that table is designed to hold that.

As for #2, yes, absolutely.

dan2x38

just a note I just bought a 29 with gravel and stand... I carried the tank with the gravel in it... I had to know what it weighed it was heavy... on my bathroom scale 78 lbs.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

I'm so glad I looked into it.  I had absolutely no idea how much it would weigh but I would have severely underestimated. Ouch.

Thanks guys!

Brine

If you are really set on the idea you can have a tank made ...like one of these
http://www.4fishtank.com/prod04.htm
or you  could design a stand that would turn a tank you already have into a coffee table.

hamstercaster

Your coffee table will never hold that much weight.  Actually, I don't even think it would be suited even for a 10 gallon.  Also, keep in mind that when you add rocks to your tank, it takes "water space" meaning that for every rock you put in, you put in less water.  Now does the weight of a rock equals the weight of the "water space" it's taking?  It's probably a bit heavier but I would not worry about the rocks as the aquarium can support many many pounds of rock.  What you have to worry about is your stand.  You are much better off buying a stand made for a 50 gallon than try and something cheaper like say at Ikea for exemple....  Or better yet, if you have time, make your own, I believe there are plans here on the site to make a very solid and sturdy stand.

darkdep

Rocks are far denser (and thus, weigh more) than water; if they didn't, they would float.

hamstercaster

Quote from: DarkDep on July 13, 2007, 09:16:31 AM
Rocks are far denser (and thus, weigh more) than water; if they didn't, they would float.

errr... yeah you're right.. why didn't I think about that myself in the first place... doh lol

thanks Darky :D

freshwater

I calculate the weight of my 100gal setup onces, it was more then half a tonne. So a 46gal is around there, 400lbs.