Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Excessive Breeding

Started by Quatro, July 11, 2007, 05:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quatro

Greetings,

I checked my tank tonight and found 1 Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos holding and 2 Ps. Saulosi holding.  I did not notice anything last night so it all happened today.  I usually see someone holding once a month.  3 in one day, I'm shocked.  :o

Anyone else experience a sudden population explosion?

PaleoFishGirl

Wow, congrats! You must have left the Barry White on last night ;)

Quatro

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on July 11, 2007, 05:55:47 PM
Wow, congrats! You must have left the Barry White on last night ;)

I guess so.  My concern with it is that I only have 1 male Ps Saulosi.  He must have eaten his wheaties this morning.   :D

mseguin

My guess is one pair breeding, the other female stealing some of the eggs for herself. Either that or one very virile cichlid

beowulf

Quote from: mseguin on July 11, 2007, 06:49:36 PM
My guess is one pair breeding, the other female stealing some of the eggs for herself. Either that or one very virile cichlid

He must be french Canadian.

mseguin

sniggir

90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

FishBuddy

Quote from: Quatro on July 11, 2007, 05:43:37 PM
Greetings,

I checked my tank tonight and found 1 Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos holding and 2 Ps. Saulosi holding.  I did not notice anything last night so it all happened today.  I usually see someone holding once a month.  3 in one day, I'm shocked.  :o

Anyone else experience a sudden population explosion?

Hey Quatro, I had 3 fish holding all at the same time too (happened four times now).  Doing massive water change (ie: 50 to 75%) normally trigger their breeding instinct :)  Especially when the water temperature is above 80F and I added cold water to the tank during a water change.... 

In the summer, I normally do massive water change as the tank creates a lot of waste.  Also, I can see that the fish are really active after the massive water change.

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

Quatro

Thanks for the replies.  I did do 2 large waterchanges a couple weeks ago but haven't changed it for 1.5 weeks now.  While watching them tonight I saw the 2 holding saulosi circling each other in breeding fashion.  Very odd.

darkdep

I had this happen about a month ago, every female in the house seemed to get pregnant at the same time :)

Very cool that your cyaneorhabdos spawned!  Still haven't got mine to :)

Saltcreep

Quote from: DarkDep on July 12, 2007, 07:45:18 AM
I had this happen about a month ago, every female in the house seemed to get pregnant at the same time :)

Very cool that your cyaneorhabdos spawned!  Still haven't got mine to :)
Not touching that ;D

bitterman

Quote from: Saltcreep on July 12, 2007, 07:59:51 AM
Not touching that ;D

I was thinking the same thing.. He does have daughters j/k

On a side note, I with my Mpimbwe would go nuts spawning like crazy! If I get enough breeding then I could get those nice custom 55 gallon breeder tanks :)

So consider yourself lucky.

Bruce

darkdep

I'm not complaining.  I'm gonna have one hell of a fish sale in the fall :)

bitterman

Quote from: DarkDep on July 12, 2007, 12:32:53 PM
I'm not complaining.  I'm gonna have one hell of a fish sale in the fall :)

I'm not complaining either. Getting my Mpimbwe to breed after only having them 2-3 months was very good! Now I am watching the fry grow!

Bruce

hummer

About two months ago I had six females holding.  3 Victorians, 1 red empress, 1 afra, and 1 duboisi.  The afra and empress did not hold the eggs long enough but i had to move my tank; didn't even know about the duboisi until i threw everyone into buckets.  Imagine my suprise while pouring them back in seeing 2 baby duboisi.

Quatro

Unfortunately the Saulosi are no longer holding.  The Mel. Cyan. is though  ;D  and even better my new group of Lipochromis Matumbi Hunters (endangered species) is already holding.   ;D ;D

babblefish1960

That is great news about the matumbi, good luck with them and don't forget to make some space for some extra holding tanks. This is the largest reason people go mental with multiple tank syndrome, must grow out all the babies! ;)

RoxyDog

one of my m. cyaneorhabdos is holding also, and a l. caeruleus "Nkali" (white labs) but I don't wanna take all the rock work out to catch them.   :-\
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

babblefish1960

This situation would leave one at the mercy of nature itself, with all the stripping going on, it makes one wonder what the fish ever did without us! :)  Any fish that survive the community experience by going through the cycle of life under these conditions gets my vote as a wiley and worthwhile representative of its species.

For it to outsmart all the other predators when so small itself makes for a very crafty fish...almost as if it was born in the wild where everyone else in the lake thinks you're lunch.  Certainly they won't all survive every time, but the ones that do are the fish worth keeping.

RoxyDog

I agree, I usually leave them in the tank, but not one baby has made it yet.  there was a baby-eating yellow lab who stalked them all!  but he's gone now so maybe this time...
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.