Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Water Leaking Through Top Frame

Started by mdaigle, July 12, 2007, 11:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdaigle

I have two tanks (15G and 30G) that leak if I fill them anywhere close to the plastic top trim.  I am trying to figue out the best way to seal this.

There doesn't appear to be any visible silicone, so I assume it is inside the trim, helping to hold it onto the tank. As far as I can tell, I have two options.  One is to try and remove the trim and re-seal in the original location. The second option is to run a new bead along the bottom of the trim inside the tank.  I am currently leaning towards option two to reduce the risk of breaking something when removing the trim, but I'd like to hear other opinions.

Thanks,
Michel

55g FW Community - Neons, Cardinals, Rasboras, YoYo Loaches
30g - Lake Malawi Cichlids
20g - TBD
15g - Guppies
15g - Guppies
10g - Grow out
10g - QT/Hospital

audioslave_36

I would go with option two also. :) 

Dave

mila

Plastic trim should come out relatively easy, silicon doesn't stick to plastic very good, it works there more like gasket, fills open spaces. Just make sure to move it slowly up all around, not just one side. Clean glass and trim, make small bead of silicon on glass edge and push it back in.

babblefish1960

Option #1 gets my vote too as described by Mila.  It is actually easier than trying to put a bead around under the lip of the moulding.

mdaigle

So it sounds like both methods should work.  I'll try to pull off the frame (carefully), but will resort to sealing the inside if it puts up too much of a fight.

Thanks for your input !

Michel

20g - TBD
15g - Guppies
15g - Guppies
10g - Grow out
10g - QT/Hospital

dan2x38

might be a silly suggestion but :-[ how about leaving the water an inch from the top... in my tanks that is what i do...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

mdaigle

Quote from: dan2x38 on July 13, 2007, 10:31:36 AM
leaving the water an inch from the top...

That's what I do now, but I am tearing down these tanks anyway.  I prefer to have the tank full to avoid priming problems with my AC filters.

Michel

20g - TBD
15g - Guppies
15g - Guppies
10g - Grow out
10g - QT/Hospital