Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What the heck are these

Started by gonzobluefuzz, July 15, 2007, 08:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonzobluefuzz

Ok folks I'm in need of a bit of assistance. Had a boo into my wee little 5G planted (swords, anubia,an otto and a bunch pygme cories) and spy this colony of little critters that look like they belong in a salt tank. Body???(i guess thats what I'd call it...maybe it's a thorax ...in not a biologist) is about 1/8" and have 4 or 5 jellyfish like tentacles protruding from one end. They are mostly congregating in the brighter portion of the tank sitting on leaves and stuck to the front glass. But I have just observed them translating from spot to spot  hitching a ride in the tank current.

Tank has been established 2 years, and running smoothly for the last while... with the exception of recent temp spikes (no A/C) all params have remained normal.

things I'm wondering are
1. What the heck are they
2. How do I get rid of them??? Should I add a platy or something and make him work for his keep.

Just shot a few quickies, ignore the glass and all ...this is strait off the card didn't bother making em pretty

Thanks in advance,

Gord

[attachment deleted by admin]

PaleoFishGirl

They look like Hydra polyps... here's some info!

(they're kind of cute!)

babblefish1960

Oooh, hydra evil, kill, kill.

BigDaddy

Must kill hydra....

Seriously though, they are a major threat to fry and even some small fish.  However, if that isn't an issue, then they are more of an annoyance (to some) than anything.

beowulf

Interesting little buggers had never heard of them.

babblefish1960

They are the evil scourge of fry tanks the world over from the onset of the aquarium hobbyist world.

KLKelly

They look freaky! (shivers).  Good pics of them. 

Fishnut

Where the heck would they have come from?

sas

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on July 15, 2007, 08:36:17 AM
They look like Hydra polyps... here's some info!

(they're kind of cute!)

Read this, the link PFG put in. Very interesting  :)

gonzobluefuzz

Wonderful!!.......... oh joy oh bliss ........"guess what mom.....I've got a a venomous fish killing plague in my tank .......yay!!!!!" >:( >:(

I have now idea how I could have picked this up. No new plants or livestock in over a year. I don't feed live foods comercial prepared pellets and frozen occasionally. I'm totally stumped as to why they are only manifesting themselves now, and at such a fast rate. :-\

Anyone had firsthand experience with these guys?
Is there anything small that will eat these?? (being venomous I doubt it)
Is my only recourse tearing down the tank, nuke everything in bleach. Then start over from scratch (last resort)

The link lists Flubendazole 5% as being effective, anyone know what it is marketed as in North America

Thanks all

Gord

mseguin

If I remember correctly, blue gouramis eat them. As for dealing with them, cleaner water makes them go away on their own, or anything that works on parasites (including salt) should wipe them out.

april

interesting...ive heard of hydra..now i know more. yuk...ive heard they can attack and eat eggs . well then..it said bbs naupli you get them..

plecoL83

Flag fish eat them too. I found one in my tank :o moments later before I could get a picture, it was eaten. :)