Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Reef Keeper 2

Started by porcupinepuffer, July 16, 2007, 07:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupinepuffer

For anyone looking for an affordable, compact, and sexy reef controller. Look no further. I got mine several days ago through pat (ottawa inverts) and I'm happier than a pig in poop... I decided to purchase this product when pat brought it to my attention after I informed him of the endless troubles I was having with coralife's digital light timer.(Later Found out threw coralife that the digital timer is too wimpy for my powerful 250 watt Metal Halides)... So I finally gave in and went with the RK2.

I'll just sum up afew of the benefits this controller gave me

1. Extremely precise temperature control by turning on my heater when needed, and also making it impossible for a heater to cook my tank. Also turns on my fans when it gets too hot from the MH.
2. Independent control of my MH's to save atleast 2 hours a day per bulb (money back in my wallet through hydro). I can now provide a sunrise/sunset effect... also, MH's can individually turn off if the tank temp should miraculously get too high.
3. The devices running, PH, and time is displayed right infront of the tank on a cosmetically appealing little screen.
4. Wavemaker for controlling my powerheads.
5. standby feature, which allows me to do my filter feedings by automatically turning off my skimmer for the exact amount of time with one press of a button. (I don't have to sit there waiting for an hour to turn my skimmer back on)
6. Free'd up some junk timers, and various cords... It's now neat and tidy.
7. Can recieve updated software from the website to better run this device.
8. Makes me sleep better at night, and especially better at night when I'm out of town.

It has a ton of extra features you can benefit from.

God I hope this doesn't get moved to the equipment section.

kennyman

This sounds like a really nice system. Someday when I'm rich and famous I will look back to this thread. Until then I will just dream about not having a giant ball of extension cords and analog timers filling the shelf in my tankstand  :P

redbelly

You dont quite need to be rich and famous to afford this controller. I havent posted it yet as I am still working on fixing Trina's old lap top. We are going to have it running 24-7 next to the tank so we can have it data logging every 5 min. Plus the softwear lets you visually monitor your tank with a webcam which is a real piece of mind for when you are out of town. So far I have a decent sized box of parts that I have been able to remove by installing the RK2.

porcupinepuffer

Yes. when compared to the other available controllers that also monitor ORP, etc... this one is in a much cheaper price range. Also, comparing it to wavemakers alone, it's worth it. Or if you calculate each of the sockets as a timer (which can be set up as all individual timers) it's not expensive for how much timers are.

gvv

Could not find any price info for the unit as well as info, e.g. what is included what can be extra...

porcupinepuffer

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/reefkeeper2.html... I got mine threw patrick with an order for others.

redbelly

The unit sells for $330 plus tax and there is an optional upgrade of an extra 2 sockets. The ph probe is not included but i do have it in stock.

So far I have removed a wave maker, 4 timers, and a ph controller. Now i just have to re-route my mh wires upstairs to the outlet. Once thats done i will be sure to post some pics.