Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help me i have serious problem with algea

Started by puffer girl, July 16, 2007, 10:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puffer girl

Hello to all

i just start my brackish tank for about 2 weeks now and i have some serious algea problem , everything in tank have on it , the silk plant , the rock etc ... Since i have green spotted puffer i dont know what can i put in my tank . I need something like a pleco but who can leave in a brackish water tank .

Did someone already have this problem ? Please give some advice because right now i need to scrub my tank almost every day  :-\

Martine the puffer girl

Crumpet

What colour is the algae?  Is it blue-green, and looking a little velvety?  and when you scrape it, does it come off in sheets?  Or is it regular algae, and just a lot of it?  Is your tank in direct sunlight, or is it getting a lot more light than usual? 

You can also measure your phosphates and nitrates and see if they are high -- these will affect algae growth, too.

mseguin

If it's been running for two weeks, its normal to get algae blooms, just monitor yuor water conditions and let things run their course.

puffer girl

Quote from: Crumpet on July 16, 2007, 10:48:57 PM
What colour is the algae?  Is it blue-green, and looking a little velvety?  and when you scrape it, does it come off in sheets?  Or is it regular algae, and just a lot of it?  Is your tank in direct sunlight, or is it getting a lot more light than usual? 

You can also measure your phosphates and nitrates and see if they are high -- these will affect algae growth, too.

The algea is brown and it 's dont look good at all . The tank is not near a window , and i also stop to turn on the light .

My tank running for almost 9 month in freshwater and i take the same tank and 80% of water to turn it brackish . I was thinking maybe is the salt responsable for that ?

Martine

kennyman

Much depends on your salinity. Brackish tanks can range in specific gravity readings between 1.005 and 1.015. The lower ends represents oligohaline ecosystems while the higher end is associated with coastal waters at the end of estuaries. How you can deal with algae depends on which type of ecosystem you are trying to model.

http://maritime.haifa.ac.il/departm/lessons/ocean/lect21.htm

As for how to manage this with a puffer. I really dont know. All I can think of is to get a good scraper/magfloat and keep the glass clean.