Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Koi question :)

Started by Nerine, July 18, 2007, 04:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

Hey all...

I have several very large koi, who are reproducing like mad! They are on average 12-15 inches long, males and females...Am thinking of selling off a few...What would be a fair price for them at that size?

I can't wait to see their offspring grow up and see what they turn out :) so far one of them is pure black!! BEAUTIFUL!! and lots of 'calico' babies :) the adults are beautiful too!! they are turning out quite nice...one of the males is as black as coal!! plus we have a couple butterfly koi which are lovely!!

When I get back to Ottawa I will be posting photos of the pond and hopefully of the fish! Tonight we're going to clear out some of the plants, feed and shoot :) They are sooo unafraid of people! If you're in the pond they come right up to see what you're doing, my father in law can pick them up with his hands and they could care less!

The plants are beautiful, lots of plants and tons of duckweed ;) Can't wait to show the pictures!!!
We're gonna be here until next week and am for sure going to check out more pond supplies around town! maybe we'll come back with a wiskey barrel or two :D
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

babblefish1960

I would be guessing that you could easily get about half of what they sell for in the stores, I know that some varieties are very costly. Perhaps approach the Pond Clinic or some similar store and see if they would be interested in some, they have tons of pond specific clients, you never know. :)

Nerine

There isn't a pond clinic out there and transporting them to Ottawa would be a bit of a hassle! :) we might attend one of the SAM meetings and see what happens!
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

The Pond Boy

The price of a koi is different for the quality of the koi. An average sale price of a koi has to do with the length. Here are some prices for Domestic Standard Koi:
4"   $10
8"   $50
12" $132
16" $259
There is more demand for smaller kois (4"-8") then bigger koi (10"+)
Thanks,

The Pond Boy

latios

I would say for 3 about $30-$40 6 $60-$80 etc.

bamboofish

Pond Boy's prices sound about right. If they are Japanese stock they can sell at higher prices than Chinese stock.
You should notice better colouring and markings on the Japanese.
And of course size matters.

Nerine

hehe been awhile since I've been here :)

they are gone long ago!