Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sump idea

Started by Severum, July 20, 2007, 09:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severum

Pat came up with this great idea for a sump.

Since I can't drill my existing 33 gallon I'm going to add a 10-15 gallon as a sump/fuge above the display tank.

I hope it works out as this will be my first foray into the realm of DIY!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

darkdep

Where is the pump going to sit?

bitterman

Quote from: DarkDep on July 20, 2007, 09:44:00 AM
Where is the pump going to sit?

The pump would most likely be in the main tank pushing water into the sump. Then gravity feed into the main tank.

Bruce

gvv

Is it possible to put pump into the sump, but switch the input with output so it will suck water from the main tank?

bitterman

Quote from: gvv on July 20, 2007, 11:01:55 AM
Is it possible to put pump into the sump, but switch the input with output so it will suck water from the main tank?

I was looking at doing this but was told it could result in the pump not priming itself (At least with my mag 12). It would not cause an overflow, but could burn up the pump. Maybe other pumps will work better, but most are designed to Push the water, not pull it.

Anyone ever prime an old jet pump?  Same idea, but a submersable pump is self priming.

Bruce.

Severum

Ya, the pump will go in the tank. I have a nice big piece of LR that I can hide it behind.

Any suggestions as to the type (GPH) pump I'd need to get the water to the sump? I would have liked to use the skimmer pump but there is no way it will have enough juice.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

kennyman

much like a hang-on-back refuge, just bigger. Depending on the width of the return passage I would think 400 gph would be much like the flow of a emperor or penguin 400gph filter.

yellowtang

hey Vaf.....
is there a reason why you can't drill your tank....
With all due respect,I think your side by side sump/ref
might not look good as you have planed,I've seen set ups as you have
planned and most individual have decided to take them out
as its looks quite unorganized and becomes more of an eyesore..(cosmetics)
IMO I think instead of doing it like that ,take your time and do
your Idea as a bottom Sump/ref.
Will look much much better.
However this is just My opinion. ;)
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

redbelly

Quote from: dan2x38 on July 20, 2007, 11:05:37 PM
By pushing the water you could also use a check valve to prevent siphoning back into main tank and have an major spill...
check valves often contain metal so be sure to use the high quality ones if you are going to. In this case its really not necessary though. Just keep the return line at about the water level in the fuge.

redbelly

Quote from: yellowtang on July 20, 2007, 11:25:17 PM
hey Vaf.....
is there a reason why you can't drill your tank....
With all due respect,I think your side by side sump/ref
might not look good as you have planed,I've seen set ups as you have
planned and most individual have decided to take them out
as its looks quite unorganized and becomes more of an eyesore..(cosmetics)
IMO I think instead of doing it like that ,take your time and do
your Idea as a bottom Sump/ref.
Will look much much better.
However this is just My opinion. ;)

I have seen this set up work for a few people already whre it was done quite well and is very nice looking, but you are right, if it is messy it certainly wouldnt look very good. I had actually suggested drilling the main tank but Vaf was not to excited by the thoughts (although a very low chance) his new tank could break.

Severum

Drilling attempt 1 resulted in a cracked 10 gallon - due to no fault of the driller of course! I will try one more time but seeing as how thin the glass is, making 2 holes on the same side will probably crack again. If it does I will look to other options but I really would still like to  be able to use my existing stand as its a matches my office set...
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef