Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Flagstone In An Aquarium

Started by RossW, July 30, 2007, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossW

Does anyone know if "flagstone" can be safely used in an aquarium?

Greely Sand and Gravel sells it for 25 cents/pound.

Saltcreep

If the flagstone is limestone (which it probably is), it will harden your water.

RossW

Which would be a good thing if it was for an African Cichlid tank, if I understand correctly.

sniggir

I would go for it if you are going AF... I love flage stone that is a great price
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

mdaigle

I just setup a Malawi tank with flagstone from Cohens on Merivale.  You can pick from a scrap pile for 10 cents a pound.

Michel

55g FW Community - Neons, Cardinals, Rasboras, YoYo Loaches
30g - Lake Malawi Cichlids
20g - TBD
15g - Guppies
15g - Guppies
10g - Grow out
10g - QT/Hospital

kennyman

The stuff I gave our APW for his tank was a mix of slate and sandstone. The red sandstone really looked cool glued to the back pane. Although it did make the tank kinda heavy to carry from what I heard.

I used to sell it for around $20 for 12 Sq feet which = a layer on a skid 3'x4' I am sure you can find that deal at most landscape depots that carry the stuff.