Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New Chiclids - Is this Ich?

Started by ctaylor, July 30, 2007, 10:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctaylor

I just got 3 new Chiclids about 24 hours ago, one is showing a little round white dot on his fin. I am not quite sure what it is but I hope if I catch it early enough it won't get out of hand...and suggested treatments?

I did a WC, and temp is always around 82-84.

Here are some pics...

[attachment deleted by admin]

babblefish1960

It appears to be too large for ich, it appears more like a blastocyst of some sort of nematode. It is difficult to see from the photograph. I assume it is 3-dimensional in mass and there is only the one.  I would just watch the fish closely, make sure it is still eating, and that it isn't skulking around hiding or otherwise out of sorts. Don't forget that having just acquired the fish, there will be some stress adapting to the new environs.

Don't panic and start medicating if you don't know for certain what it is you are dealing with.

ctaylor

So I've been watching the Chiclid for the last 6 days, the white dot on his fin looks to be smaller but now there are two. As well his fins (only his side fins) look like they have been chewed on.  There isn't a lot of the fin missing, but it is noticeable. His eating habits are good, water quality is still good (Ph is around 8, low Ammonia and normal nitrate/nitrite levels)

Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks!