Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Totally Unreasonable!!

Started by nelson, August 02, 2007, 01:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

This is by no means intended as malicious (BA bashing), but you should be aware that BA on-line has not adjusted for the stronger Canadian dollar. I was in the process of ordering an impeller for my CS skimmer at the US price of $20.99. The agent informed that the price was $44.99 CDN!! I flipped to say the least. I can't help but conclude that we're victims of an outrageous corporate consumer ripoff.  Something to consider next time you need parts/supplies.

hamstercaster

Nelson, I believe this type of topic has been discussed already in another thread and what came up is that there is more to the Canadian price tag an article carries than the strenght of our dollar.  However, paying twice the price for the same arcticle in Canada that you would pay in the States is indeed ridiculous but keep in mind that if the article in question is made in China for exemple, there will be duty fees on it before it enters the country to make it's way to Big Al's Canada's wearhouse.... amongst other things.

artw

I don't think Nelson reads the Lounge.  but for his benefit, here is almost the exact same complaint,  a month ago.  http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=18367.0

gvv

The complaint is slightly different - it was a bout the price in canadian BA, while Nelson is compaining about conversion from USD to CAD on US site...

Regards

KLKelly

Why would they convert?  I thought if you used a credit card - Mastercard or Visa does the conversion and not the store.

groan

alot of peopel dont realize that some companies have stock that was purchased a while ago when the dolar may not have been so strong, so they still need to sell at thier original markup prices until the new shipments come in with adjusted prices.

we have to wait, I am hoping it wont take too long becaseu I want to buy a camera!

mseguin

It's also not a straight conversion, if you're ordering in Canada its a different storefront so to speak than from the US, so prices are actually different, not just exhanged.

nelson

Jim Flaherty agrees that the Canadian consumer should be benefiting by our strong dollar.

Page 16 Ottawa Sun Sat. Aug 4

"Finance Minister Jim Flaherty says Canadians are paying too much for imported goods and is urging business leaders to pass along savngs from the higher Canadain dollar."

Mettle

It would be nice to see him doing something other than simply 'urging'...

BigDaddy

Still doesn't change the fact that selling to 300 million people significantly impacts price compared to selling to 30 million.

sniggir

well acually that would mean that they are selling to 330 million... same company, and north america is prity much the same when it come to marketing......
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

mseguin

But again, its not the same company, they're operated as entirely separate entities

BigDaddy

Quote from: sniggir on August 05, 2007, 06:44:50 PM
well acually that would mean that they are selling to 330 million... same company, and north america is prity much the same when it come to marketing......

Trust me.. very different.  Go work for Foreign Affairs and you'll see.  The guys dealing with the sawmill lumber disputes never left their desks.

Two very different economies that pretend they are involved in "free trade" but who fight tooth and nail over protecting their own markets.

So no, it isn't a market of 330 million.  I wish it was.

KLKelly

Here's my two cents:
1.  If it is made in canada and distributed in canada - 1$cdn is still 1$ cdn.... so reducing pricing to match the us is not good business it would be margin erosion and unsustainable.

2.  If its made in the US and imported to canada - and the importers costs are reduced by the strength of our dollar - their margin just increased by 40%.  This savings should be passed on to the customer.

Clarification needed on bigalsonline.com and .ca.... can we chose who to order from in Canada?  If I order from the US site I expect to pay the US price.  The conversion of the dollar should be done on my credit card... just like when I travel to the US and pay for meals/hotel/car rental.  Those companies don't chose the conversion rate they are going to charge me because I am from Canada.  Or do they do this because of some non compete agreement with bigalsonline.ca?  If so - this would be price fixing. (I'm not an expert though).

Karrie

BigDaddy

Quote from: KLKelly on August 05, 2007, 11:22:09 PM
Or do they do this because of some non compete agreement with bigalsonline.ca?  If so - this would be price fixing. (I'm not an expert though).

Karrie

You are correct.  If you attempt to purchase anything on the Big Al's US site with a Canadian address, your sale is essentially refused by them and you are automatically directed to Big Al's Canada.

KLKelly

Thanks - makes more sense to me now.

sniggir

this may be something to try... Big al's always bosts about price matching..... I wonder if it would work...lol
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

charlie

Quote from: sniggir on August 06, 2007, 10:25:12 AM
this may be something to try... Big al's always bosts about price matching..... I wonder if it would work...lol
Don`t think so , they have protected  themselves.
QuoteOur Lowest Price Policy" guarantees that you won't find lower prices anywhere else. If you do find the same product in stock sold anywhere online in Canada for less, we won't just match the price we'll beat it by 5%! Price matches must be made at time of order. *

here fishy fishy

Quote from: groan on August 02, 2007, 04:48:55 PM
alot of peopel dont realize that some companies have stock that was purchased a while ago  when the dolar may not have been so strong, so they still need to sell at thier original markup prices until the new shipments come in with adjusted prices.

we have to wait, I am hoping it wont take too long becaseu I want to buy a camera!

Where is that theory when it comes to gas prices??

babblefish1960

Quote from: here fishy fishy on August 06, 2007, 09:58:00 PM
Where is that theory when it comes to gas prices??
gasoline, which is an entirely different subject is controlled as a commodity on the world stock exchanges, and really outside of the scope of this particular complaint. Hopefully before long, there will be some adjustments that finally reach us as consumers.