Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sick dwarf gourami

Started by RedFish, August 04, 2007, 09:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedFish

My dwarf gourami is suddenly very swollen, I noticed the last couple of days he/she has not been as keen to eat as usual.
Today he/she is very swollen and gasping, hanging near the surface.  I thought he was making a bubble nest but it is perhaps just the gasping?
It is not dropsy.
His colour is still good and otherwise appears normal.  Everyone else in the tank is healthy and fine.   

He is several years, at least 4 years old I think.
I do not have a hospital tank, as the baby apistos are in it.
I can't put salt in the tank since it has corys in it.

I could put him in the betta's 5 gal tank and put the betta in the 29....if the betta behaved himself..
the other occupants of the 29 are cories, rasboras and a german ram couple.

Any ideas on how I can help him?

dan2x38

Is he bloated evenly on both sides? He might be consipated. If you could move him by himself try to feed him some peas that are shelled, canned peas or blanched frozen... Good Luck I love those characters...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

RedFish

He is bloated evenly - I tried blocking off his corner and feeding peas, but he doesn't even notice.  In fact he appears to be pretty unaware of his surroundings, I could bring the net right up to him and he didn't do anything, same with my hand near him.  One eye might be slightly different from the other too, a little cloudy?
I too really like this little guy, so incredibly full of character.

dan2x38

Maybe try moving him to a QT. Put him in a low traffic place low light then add some salt slowly. Sure hope he pulls through. OH and change the water a lot. Guess you know all this any ways...  :-[ Maybe use a veggie clip and add some lettuce or some other veggie...
Voltaire:

RedFish

Quote from: dan2x38 on August 04, 2007, 10:58:49 PM
Maybe try moving him to a QT. Put him in a low traffic place low light then add some salt slowly. Sure hope he pulls through. OH and change the water a lot. Guess you know all this any ways...  :-[ Maybe use a veggie clip and add some lettuce or some other veggie...

I don't have a qt tank right now (see first post).   I will do some small frequent water changes, sure can't hurt....thanks for the info ....

dan2x38

Quote from: RedFish on August 04, 2007, 11:12:10 PM
I don't have a qt tank right now (see first post).   I will do some small frequent water changes, sure can't hurt....thanks for the info ....

Got a gallon container of sorts? He's not moving much so it would work for the time. I can loan you a 2.2g plastic tank if you need. I live in Centertown area. You would even need a heater this time of year. What is your room temp?
Voltaire:

RedFish

He passed away overnight.   :'(   He was a real character, I remember years ago when he was in my small tank and I put cories in for the first time, he just loved them.   He was always part of their pack.
He was a real presence in my 29 too.

dan2x38

Quote from: RedFish on August 05, 2007, 07:07:33 AM
He passed away overnight.   :'(   He was a real character, I remember years ago when he was in my small tank and I put cories in for the first time, he just loved them.   He was always part of their pack.
He was a real presence in my 29 too.

Sorry to hear about you lossing him!  :( Maybe it was just old age? You can get another character maybe a different colour?
Voltaire:

jodes22

I am so sorry to hear about you losing him :'( I was rooting for him to pull through...

RedFish

Thanks guys (and gal ?).   I really miss seeing his large red body in the tank.    I will get another  big fish, just not right now....got a elderly pet rat and a newly adopted guinea pig that is full of lumps, I think I will be visiting the vet soon.....