Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Malasian trumpet snails

Started by Ellypho, August 05, 2007, 01:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellypho

Hey i got some hitch hikers off some plants at big al's and did a litle research to learn that they are actually good for my aquarium. Now i know they come out at night but I can't seem to find them at night(12 ish). Last i checked i found about 3 do you think you population will get greater even with so litle of them. I'd like to have some more. But not much more.

Fishnut

In time you'll have much more.  Sometimes it's hard to tell exactly how many there are because of the fact they burrow and come out more at night.  If you turn the lights out in the tank and the room, you should be able to come back in an hours time to see them in the tank using a flashlight.  I did that not too long ago and to my surprise, the tank walls were speckled in MTS's of all sizes as well as way more pond snails than I thought I had.

damarech

I started with one , about two years ago, and now have hundreds in all my tanks. My adult africans take care of thinning out the population ,but in the fry tanks they tend to get a little overpopulated.
I see that most of the fish you have are not going to eat the mts,so soon you will have a population explosion.
If you need to thin them out , I usually wait till dark, then use a net and drag it up and down the glass and catch them as they fall.
Good luck.

Ellypho

Okay thanks.
I know they come out at night i check the aquarium at about 2am and say a couple.
Well then let's hope they repreeduce easily.