Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

bomix & cichlids

Started by audioslave_36, August 05, 2007, 02:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioslave_36

question :  is bomix cichlid safe ?

RossW

Quote from: audioslave_36 on August 05, 2007, 02:39:03 AM
question :  is bomix cichlid safe ?

Is that like pool filter sand?

sniggir

Bomix... especialy the kind that you have is great it is a calcium based sand as aposed to a silicate... so it will buffer your ph, and kh.... just make sure to rince it realy well
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

elad

yes Bomix is great but be cautious because it need to be rinsed over and over or else you will have a cloudy tank for a week or more.  also it is getting harder to find if you do find it let me know seeing we will need to get some I have 2 90 g I am trying to put together and I have a friend that is looking for it to work on a project.

so please remeber rinse once rinse twice and for good mesure rinse again and the bomix will be fine.

Cheers
Solana 36 gal SW
35lbs LR
1black clown
A few cleaners
Aqua illumination  Sol LED light fixture
8 puck 24 led blue,royal,white,light
Combination
1 vortec MP 40
1 reefkeeper lite
2 hydor korilias 750

Seriously need to add to the tank lol

audioslave_36

Quote from: elad on August 05, 2007, 09:42:13 AM
yes Bomix is great but be cautious because it need to be rinsed over and over or else you will have a cloudy tank for a week or more.  also it is getting harder to find if you do find it let me know seeing we will need to get some I have 2 90 g I am trying to put together and I have a friend that is looking for it to work on a project.

so please remember rinse once rinse twice and for good measure rinse again and the bomix will be fine.

Cheers

LOL  I rinsed the bomix for what seemed like hours, I still have a cloudy tank, but it is clearing up fast, fish don't seem to mind. they are happy now they can move it around :)

sniggir

yea I used a mag pump to blow threw the sand while I had one removing the water... worked well still took like 1 hour...lol
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently

audioslave_36

yeah I set up a tank with two maxi 1200's circulating water and one python putting water in and one taking water out for about an hour and a half, the tank is almost clear today :)

Adam

Where did you get it?  What kind of consistency/colour is it?  Pictures?
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

sniggir

it is white fine sand... i got it at rona