Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

petsmart advice

Started by KLKelly, August 05, 2007, 08:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

I was in at big als today and they didn't have what I needed.  I went to petsmart and was waiting to ask the guy in the fish department a question.

I overheard a lady telling the guy that she isn't having luck keeping any fish alive.  She recently bought Mollies (all her goldfish died also).  She asked about water changes.  He said even if the water gets really dirty not to change ANY water or FOUR WEEKS!!!!  She also only has a ten gallon tank.

I am just floored at the advice he was doling out.  I told her more about the cycle and that water changes would be a good thing. Depending on her budget she could get test kits.  I recommended the ammonia alert card if she couldn't get test kits.   and prime.

Then she went back for more questions and I saw her leaving with ph fizzing buddies - i over heard two people telling her to use it with every water change and a few more needless things.

I asked who was the store manager and I told her what I heard.  I told her I was dissappointed that her staff was giving such bad advice.  I asked her if this is what she was teaching her staff.  (I don't think she is the fish department manager - maybe just weekend supervisor)?  And she said she would recommend a 20% water change every seven to ten days even during a cycle and she would talk to the person.  After she said that I knew I was not going to make a difference.

I guess this happens in every petstore across the country.  I found it disheartening :(

I wonder if there is a way to make a difference?

BigDaddy

Let your dollars do the talking for you.  Petsmart won't be hurting, but you'll know you aren't contributing to its existence

Ellypho

Well if people are really into the hobby they would do some research. Petsmart is sometimes good on prices tho. But don't take their advice i asked them about filters and it was far louder then she said it was.

normc

I was talking to somebody in the ex superpet on Innis. I was told that now that they are petsmart them aren't allowed to think anymore they have to follow the written procedures  :( :( 

Mettle

Quote from: Ellypho on August 05, 2007, 10:59:31 PM
Well if people are really into the hobby they would do some research. Petsmart is sometimes good on prices tho. But don't take their advice i asked them about filters and it was far louder then she said it was.

You identified the two issues in your post.

1. Most people aren't really into the hobby. What they want is a fish tank with some fish and that's it. Most often it's to amuse the kids or as an accent in the home.

2. Good prices will bring people in more often than not. They will also cause people to forget the reasons they might not want to shop at a particular store - pet store or not.

BD has the right idea. Let your wallet do the talking.

beowulf

The difference between being a fish haver and a fish keeper.

Ellypho

dan2x38

I agree with BD but with the PS take over of SP we are limited even more here in Ottawa for selection on live stock & dry goods...  >:( I've heard so much bad & poor advice doled out from those PS outlets...  >:( At the old SP on Merivale I've seen how much the fish products were reduced...  :(
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Ellypho

dan2x38

Quote from: Ellypho on August 06, 2007, 03:13:24 PM
BD SP PS?

BD= BigDaddy OVAS President/member
SP= Super Pet
PS=Pet Smart

From side bar on left 'Generl Information' goto Common Aquatic Acronyms.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

mseguin

Having been to PS, the product slection in most areas in fish dry goods is actually increased.

Ellypho

I only got a filter there

mseguin

I was just pointing out that as far as I've seen, PS dry good diversity is actually better than that of SP