Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What Do People Add And Reccomend To Their Water During Water Changes

Started by RossW, August 06, 2007, 04:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpatte

I use aquarium pharmaceuticals - TAP WATER CONDITIONER - 1 drop per gallon, which I add while filling the tank.

RossW

I have done a little research and consideration.  Since I am on a well, I do not care so much about Chlorine and Chloramine, but more about heavy metal and I would like something for the slime coat <= unless someone can tell me all of this slime coat/aloe vera stuff is for the birds.

API Tap Water Conditioner - is the best price, does it all except does not have slime coat stuff
Big Al's - Surprising is the most expensive, and does not do heavy metals
Prime - Does it all!  It does not mention heavy metal on the label but it does mention it on their website and their support guy confirmed it.

I think I am going Prime!

KLKelly

I would only use stuff for slime coat if they are injured or need slime coat recovery help.

I think that adding stuff like aloe into water that they have to swim and breath in doesn't help them overall.  Someone once asked me if I wanted to breath air with additives - I haven't used it since.  Maybe one of the experts can pipe in here.

busdriver

I use Cloram-x, 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gal. of new water.
That's all I've used for the last 8 months.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

babblefish1960

Quote from: RossW on August 07, 2007, 09:36:16 PM
unless someone can tell me all of this slime coat/aloe vera stuff is for the birds.

I am hoping that this is a colloquialism of some sort, as I can't imagine aloe vera being used for fish.

Yes the slime coat additive is a good thing, watching a fish slough off slime coat after a stressful situation is bleh, and this stuff works rather well.  We also use Seachem prime primarily and chloram-x as well for specific tanks as it is cheaper to use still.

DavidJohnson

Quote from: babblefish1960 on August 07, 2007, 11:32:56 PM
I am hoping that this is a colloquialism of some sort, as I can't imagine aloe vera being used for fish.

Many water conditioner products contain aloe vera including Big Al's water conditioner, API Stess Coat and I am sure many other products.