Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lighting

Started by RossW, August 10, 2007, 10:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossW

I am wondering what do most people use for lighting above their African tanks?

Can I get away w/ a cheap old normal balast and lights or do I need to spend $200+ and get some T5 HO?!? setup?

Thanx,
Ross

babblefish1960

Any cheap kind of light will do, particularly as the lighting that is more expensive is for growing something green, and with African cichlids, they really don't care. You can use almost anything, it depends to some degree how much you would like to see.

RoxyDog

my 77gal has 2 x 40w normal fluorescents over it and I'd like it to be a tad brighter.  but it's not too bad really.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

groan

my 70 has a coralife 2x65 on it.
i used to think it was really bright, then i got my 110w cF on my 30 and holy bright!

anyways, if you are not growing plants, dont worry too much about it. africans tond need plants to be happy.

gkilla

I would personally go now to the Super Pet in Barrhaven and get some T5 ballasts and bulbs seeing as they are 75% off right now. It shouldn't cost you more than $70.

RoxyDog

AFAIK they only have bulbs left.  but you might other good lighting deals there...
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

RossW

Quote from: RoxyDog on August 10, 2007, 01:11:59 PM
AFAIK they only have bulbs left.  but you might other good lighting deals there...

If that is true, do you know anyone who is selling a light set?  ;D :D ;D

mseguin

RossW

It could be any size, but could be the 110g from Nyxx which is 48x18x30.  I currently have a white sand bottom and it is likely I would continue that in any new tank.

charlie

If it`s a 48 inch tank , I think roxydog had a T5 double for sale .
Regards

Nyx

Ross, before my husband and I switched to saltwater, we had Lake Malawi cichlids in a 72 gal. tank. We couldn't afford fancy lighting at the time (as we had just bought the tank) so we bought a cheap, 4' fluorescent fixture from Home Depot and mounted it over the tank. We couldn't afford aquarium bulbs back then, either so we just bought plant bulbs from Home Depot as well. After a few months, we had more Java moss than we knew what to do with and our Java ferns grew really well and if I remember correctly, these are pretty much the only plants that do well with Africans. The lighting wasn't too bright but we could clearly see the fish, rock wall, plants, etc.
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

fyrebull

Quote from: Nyxx on August 10, 2007, 02:46:25 PM
Ross, before my husband and I switched to saltwater, we had Lake Malawi cichlids in a 72 gal. tank. We couldn't afford fancy lighting at the time (as we had just bought the tank) so we bought a cheap, 4' fluorescent fixture from Home Depot and mounted it over the tank.

I did the same $16.00 dual 48" shop light at Home Depot took it apart wired in a switch painted the whole thing black looks great about a $20.00 dollar investment.