Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tetra schooling

Started by PrincessFish, August 15, 2007, 10:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessFish

Hi everyone, I've been away for a while - busy with other priorities in life - but have still been enjoying my relatively new hobby.  I started out with a very small school of tetras(3) in my community tank but one died about a month ago (stuck behind that darn CO2 ladder!) and am down to 2 now.  I am thinking about getting a few more to add to the tank but may have a difficult time finding the same type (probably Rosy's but not certain).  If I pick up some with a similar body type would anyone know if they are likely to school together?

BigDaddy

If they are similar in appearance, they may.  For example, my black neon tetras used to school with the ottos in my tank, I guess because the ottos were small and had a black lateral line stripe.  Any time an otto moved from one place to another, the tetras always followed.  Same thing with my young SAE's, the tetras would follow them around too.

Or maybe I just had stupid black neons.  :)

Most tetras are a pretty small bioload.  Don't be shy about getting half a dozen for your 25 gallon.

PrincessFish

Thanks BigDaddy,

I am starting to get a bit 'full' but am also learning that with good 'hygiene' I can fit in more fish.  Will let you know what happens ;o)

PrincessFish