Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

CO2 question

Started by PrincessFish, August 15, 2007, 10:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessFish

Hello CO2 experts,

If I were to make up the geletin mixture and just use it to fill one of the Hagen CO2 containers (as opposed to getting out the drill etc) would this work well also?  I have to admit to being somewhat perturbed by the quick delivery of CO2 followed by its petering out - as mentionned.

BigDaddy

Should work, although you will need to downsize the recipe you find on the internet as it is intended for 2L bottles and I am pretty sure the Hagen canister has less volume than that.

sdivell

Ya the Hagen is a 1L bottle.  I have the same system, just cutt the recipe in half and it'll work fine for a couple weeks

dan2x38

Quote from: sdivell on August 16, 2007, 11:35:43 AM
Ya the Hagen is a 1L bottle.  I have the same system, just cutt the recipe in half and it'll work fine for a couple weeks

More yeast and it expires quicker play with the yeast amount for your recipe... yeast also likes hard water add a bit of baking soda... for 2 litres I use:

2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp yeast
1/8 tsp soda
in conditioned water

1/2 this recipe like others mentioned... I also use champagne yeast it withstands alcohol up to 18% so it lasts longer... it can be had at any wine making outlet... my recipe produces CO2 for almost 21 days give or take... make sure everything you are using is very clean so the yeast bacertia is not killed off... also soak the yeast for 15 mins in 1/2 cup of treated water around 115-120f before adding to water sugar mixture... all these things keeps as much of the yeast bacteria alive as possible... hence longer CO2 production!
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

BigDaddy

dan

google CO2 and jello and you'll see the technique in question.