Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

where to cut glass?

Started by reptile boi, August 16, 2007, 12:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reptile boi

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here knows of any places that will cut tempered glass, or is there anyone here that knows the proper way to cut it?

Also another question,
would anyone here happen to live halfway between hull and carlingwood mall who owns a truck? I found someone who is giving away free tempered window glass in hull and if my buddy doesnt get the car by this weekend i am hoping that someone here would be able to help bring the glass to my place for a reasonable gas fee.

Thanks,
Ben

babblefish1960

There is no real way to cut tempered glass, it is created in the size and shape that it is, and that is it. Any attempts to alter it will result in it shattering completely.

babblefish1960

That pretty much sums up in a word what happens when tempered glass is introduced to a stress riser, cool video porcupinepuffer.

BigDaddy

I guess you won't be picking up that glass then huh?

reptile boi

Saltcreep

Quote from: BigDaddy on August 16, 2007, 01:52:26 PM
I guess you won't be picking up that glass then huh?

Before I dismissed the idea, I would want to know the dimensions of the glass. Just because it can't be cut doesn't mean it can't be used. You might be able to use two like-sized pieces for the front and back. You could even get lucky and find a pair of pieces for the front and back and another pair with one equal dimension for the ends. Or, maybe just one good sized piece for the bottom and make the other four sides out of regular float glass. I am constantly on the lookout for thick, tempered glass to front a large plywood tank that I'm planning. I just missed getting a large glass-topped coffee table that was for sale. The top was 1/2" thick, 30" X 60". The seller wanted $35 for the table.  :'(