Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Microgeophagus "home alone"?

Started by Kobi, August 16, 2007, 04:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kobi

I'm going to be away for 4 days and the local fish store suggested the fish will be OK for this time.  Is that really possible?
Maybe I should ask someone to come in and feed 'em once a day, or maybe put one of those little "food blocks" in the tank?

(It's a 46 gallon planted tank with 4 Microgeophagus ramirez, 15 cardinal tetras, 4 panda corys and 4 bushynose plecos)
46 gal planted bowfront
- 2 pairs Microgheophagus ramirez (German blue rams), 15 cardinal tetras, 4 panda corys, 4 bushynose plecos
- vallisineria (straight + spiral), cabomba, egeria, dwarf sagittaria, java fern, wisteria, anubias nana, rotala

BigDaddy

4 days is perfectly fine for healthy fish to go without food.  I have gone on vacation for a week and a half and everyone was happy to see me when I came back.

If you are truly concerned, you can buy an automatic fish feeder.  Don't bother with the blocks, they really aren't required and are more likely to pollute your tank more than feed your fish.

babblefish1960

I agree with BigDaddy heartily and strongly suggest you do NOT use the vacation blocks, your fish will be fine and 4 days is not that long at all.  Have a nice time and don't worry about the fish, they'll be fine. Do NOT throw in any extra food before you leave either. :)

Kobi

Ah great!  -  a guilt-free holiday

Thanks Babblefish and BigDaddy!
46 gal planted bowfront
- 2 pairs Microgheophagus ramirez (German blue rams), 15 cardinal tetras, 4 panda corys, 4 bushynose plecos
- vallisineria (straight + spiral), cabomba, egeria, dwarf sagittaria, java fern, wisteria, anubias nana, rotala