Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

skimmer

Started by C-Dog, August 16, 2007, 07:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Dog

are there any specs on how to place a skimmer??
as in i ahve a box skimmer and does it have to be under the water a certain depth or can it just go in any depth?

thanks,
Corey

speckledmind

Hi Corey,

Every skimmer brand / model is kind of different, and finicky lol

If you can let us know what make and model of skimmer you have, we can help you with the depth the skimmer / pump needs to be placed at.

For positioning, if your facing at the tank, most set it it on the right hand side of the sump, and on the righ hand side of the tank.

One thing is pretty common to all skimmers, once place in your set up, the water level over the pump has to remain consistent, or the skimmer does not function at peak efficiency.
After testing, I found that a daily top off of the tank ( or sump ) helps in optimising the skimmer.

C-Dog

Its custom made so no model or brand. was told it is similar to an ETSS 600 or an MRC MR-1 skimmer except it uses a 1/2 inch self cleaning venturi valve.

lemme know thanks!

C-Dog

So i tried running it today and all that happens is that the foam builds up over time and overflows the skimmer top. I had the skimmer running with the valve open all the way and it started off about 1/4 of the way up the skimmer tube and after about 1 hr it reached about 3/4 of the way up and then did teh same thing again witht eh foam overflowing.

i'm running a quiet one 1200 on it and i was told that should be suitable and the minimum.

pleas lemme know thanks!

redbelly

is it a venturi or a beckett injector?
Do you have a pic?

Cheebs

Mine did the same thing or a day and a half, then the foam level finally lowered.  It does the same thing but to a minor degree when I do water changes, I guess it could just be taking a while to settle.  I'd let it run for a ehile and see what heppens.  All I did was hook up the drain for the collecton cup with a tube dripping into a bucket.

redbelly

Quote from: Cheebs on October 23, 2007, 06:39:24 PM
Mine did the same thing or a day and a half, then the foam level finally lowered.  It does the same thing but to a minor degree when I do water changes, I guess it could just be taking a while to settle.  I'd let it run for a ehile and see what heppens.  All I did was hook up the drain for the collecton cup with a tube dripping into a bucket.

This bucket should always be in the sump. Or have an overflow in the bucket that would drain back into the sump. If your skimmer ever goes crazy it could drain the sump.

mdugly

Had same issue with my skimmer when it was new.  And ya, if it wasn't in the sump,
and draining back into the sump, surely would have drained the tank several times...
(as an aside, I went skimmerless for about a month during some renovations,
so the skimmer was bone dry when put it back, and it just worked like before,
without another breakin period)

Anyway, my skimmer uses the cup drain for air escape. (not sure if this is common with other skimmers)
If air doesn't flow out this hole, air intake is severely limited and skimmer stops producing bubbles.
Instead of draining down, I made the drain go up, such that when the skimate level reaches the drain, it effectually stops.
ie. nothing actually drains from the collection cup, it just fills and stops the skimmer until I empty it...
The benefit of this is that if your cup is half full of junk, and skimmer then goes crazy, that junk stays in cup and doesn't go
back into tank/sump.

-mike

C-Dog

i dunno if its venturi valve or beckette injector and no i donèt have a pick. i guess ièll just keep it running with the bucket in the sump even tho sometimes it jsut poures out of the collection cup like a faucet.

C-Dog

so its been running for about a day and a night now and it seems like its got toomuch pressure because it pushes the cap off of the collection cup?
any ideas?