Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Snails and salt

Started by washefuzzy, August 17, 2007, 09:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

washefuzzy

I keep hearing it would be a  benefit to put a little salt in the water for my livebearers. I believe it's 1 tsp to 5gals. now I have some snails, ramshorn and a yellow looking guy, would the salt in that amount be harmful to them? How about my cories and hillstream loach.
Thanks for you help. :)

washefuzzy

PoisonJello

direct salt will hurt snails but if you let the salt dissolve in the water it will be fine for the snails.. it takes a little while for the salt to dissolve so don't just thrown the salt in or you could kill your snails or at least that is what i have read and been told before.. i know salt can kill snails but there are types of snails in salt water so..um..i would dissolve it first  ;)

kennyman

Snails like high calcium and high ph water. They need to to build their shells. Your live bearers would also benefit from higher tds levels that are associated with hard water. (TDS= Total Dissolved Solids such as calcium, magnesium, sodium etc..)

washefuzzy