Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How much longer does this tank have?

Started by freshwater, August 19, 2007, 02:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freshwater

This is a 100g, 72"x18"x18", who knows how old, at least 10 years I would say, it's was free so I wasn't very picky, has just been resealed, but the mechanical seal is in pretty rough shape. How much longer does it have left, before risking dumping 100g on my parents' basement floor?

[attachment deleted by admin]

nissannx

id be curious to know as i have one tank with similar sealant

babblefish1960

Watch them carefully, they will grow together, and this is when you begin being concerned.  For the moment, so long as they aren't reaching through to the edges, the shear stress won't pull the tank apart for awhile yet.  It is something you can predict if you watch them regularly, the inner seal cove that has been replaced will help for a long time if it is done well. So take your time, fill it up slowly and see how it goes for a bit, you will get accustomed to watching them.

I once watched a much larger tank do this for nearly 20 years before I panicked.

Don't ignore it completely either though, but after a couple of years you will have a sense of how it is doing.