Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tank size & Goldfish?

Started by dan2x38, August 20, 2007, 09:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

My son OVAS member- latios posted wanting to know if his goldfish needed a bigger tank. He is very curious and independent. He read the replies then he cried...  :'( He has to learn!  :(

OK now, is there a Goldfish lover or some pond ppl who would like to trade for a couple healthy Goldfish- 1 common 3"- 4" & 1 fantail 3". Both fish are very healthy no problems ever. He would like to see future pics. posted maybe even visit them once or twice after trading... Very sentimental & emotional young fellow. He would love any suggestions to add as a replacement or what to do next.

I do very much hate when he cries... but that is part of this hobby and life! This is all a great learning experience for him. :)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

squeeker

If he has a 10g tank, why doesn't he just rehome the comet?  He could keep the fantail, maybe get him a snail buddy, and all will be swell!

That's what sucks about goldfish... everyone thinks that bowls are OK.  It's a hard stereotype to overcome, especially when they're so little  :)

In the meantime, why not post a photo?  I love seeing pics of goldies!

dan2x38

So the fantail could live his life out in the 10g?
Voltaire:

KLKelly

Does he have room for a bigger tank  :P  ???  50% water change once a week and keeping it barebottom would cut down on maintenance.  I've converted my tanks to bare bottom.  If you don't upgrade I hope you find them a good home.

Have you tested the water in the 10 gallon goldfish tank?

I have ongoing issues in my main goldfish tank and my well water is driving me bonkers so I'm not in a position to take any.

squeeker

Yah, the fantail could live alone in the 10.  But, weekly water changes of 30% or more would still be ideal  :)

dan2x38

Yeah I do WC every week. The goldfish here get treated like all others. Tests show negative always. There is a small AC on the back well maintained. Started talking to my son about this but he was not believing me.
Voltaire:

squeeker

If he's interested...

have him check out http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php.

It's a very friendly, family-oriented goldfish website.  I learned almost everything I know about goldies on that site.  They (and many other great goldfish forums) recommend the 10g/fish rule. 

OrchidNow

I had 2 goldfish (no idea what they are called but they have fancy fins) that were about 3 inches long and 7 other littler ones. They were there for 7 years till my son helped clean the tank. He put the fishies in clean chlorianted water.

Personally, if they look ok and your son is attached to them, why do anything?

squeeker

QuotePersonally, if they look ok and your son is attached to them, why do anything?

Because they will outgrow the tank.

Same reason why you wouldn't keep an oscar in a 10 gallon tank.

OrchidNow

O....I thought the fish will stay at the maximum size for the tank and not get bigger.

beowulf

Quote from: OrchidNow on August 24, 2007, 09:22:24 AM
O....I thought the fish will stay at the maximum size for the tank and not get bigger.

That is somewhat true but in a bad way, it's called stunting and will cause all kinds of medical problems for the fish and and early death.

dan2x38

Thanks everybody!  :( I need to get my son to believe all this. Him & I have read all these posts. I know it needs to be done. He is sad and cried when he talked about it. He gets so attached.

Just a big IF is there someone that would take them? If so would you post some pics? Even let him visit to see their new home? Might sound silly to some but the fish needs to stay healthy and the son appaised too...  :( ??? :-\
Voltaire:

squeeker

Would if I could, but I'm at my max. as it is, and a bout of suspected flukes to boot  :-\

dan2x38

Quote from: squeeker on August 25, 2007, 12:17:59 AM
Would if I could, but I'm at my max. as it is, and a bout of suspected flukes to boot  :-\

Sorry to hear that! Good Luck...  :)
Voltaire: