Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Other sites plagorizing OVAS content and taking credit for it.

Started by bitterman, August 21, 2007, 04:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

I'm kinda sick of other sites  >:( like this plagorizing (even the spelling mistakes) :

http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-filter/111.asp

What can we do to make them remove the plagorized material (Text and Pictures), or just have them refure to the OVAS Article?

Thanks,
   BRuce

groan

One of the Execs needs to contact the webmaster and tell them to remove it or give proper credit, OR the person who wrote it can do the same.

Legal action can be taken, if need be.

bitterman

Quote from: groan on August 21, 2007, 04:51:58 PM
One of the Execs needs to contact the webmaster and tell them to remove it or give proper credit, OR the person who wrote it can do the same.

Legal action can be taken, if need be.

I wrote it and Yes I have contacted them.. All the e-mails lised in the site appear to bounce LOL. So I created an account and posted this thread:

http://www.aquatictalk.com/index.php?topic=140.msg499#new

Bruce

babblefish1960

It should be interesting to see how they respond to your post.  I believe that our webmaster has tried to correct this with their webmaster, but so far they are ignoring us.  We will definitely be bringing this up at the next business meeting.

BigDaddy

Both myself and the APW have tried to contact the webmaster quite some time ago about this (like months and months).  So far, no replies.

DavidJohnson

If you can't contact the webmaster or are getting ignored you can also try contacting the webhost.  Most webhosts have policies against this sort of thing and if the webmaster isn't doing anything it might not hurt to contact the web host or at least threaten to do so in e-mails to the webmaster.

Mettle

I think all of their DIY stuff was taken from other sites. But other than this one article, it looks like the other things I looked at were given proper credit at the bottom of the article. Still - I wonder if they obtained permission before snatching the pictures/text from these other sites? Maybe someone should inform them?

darkdep

We've been fighting this one for a while.

It's my belief that the SITE itself may not be to blame; it may be a separate "author" who did the stealing.  Alas, nobody on their end is responding..

DavidJohnson

Quote from: DarkDep on August 21, 2007, 10:39:56 PM
It's my belief that the SITE itself may not be to blame; it may be a separate "author" who did the stealing.  Alas, nobody on their end is responding..

It is still the responsibility of the site to not have plagiarized material on it and should delete it if they are notified of it.  I still say if they are not being responsive in your requests to take down the copied posts I would contact the webhost to have them take action if at all possible.

Quatro

I sympathise with you Bruce and I'm not making lite of the situation but when I saw your post on their site with the name "bitterman" I had to laugh.  I'm sure they see it as you're a biter-man.  I'd be bitter too if someone plagiarised my stuff.   :)

beowulf

I just love this from their site

QuoteThank you for taking the time to review our aquarium articles. We at aquariumlife.net strive to provide you with the best quality content that is both relevant and helpful. Whether you are a novice to aquarium care, or an old pro we think you can benefit from the knowledge we have collected. 

Our articles are gathered from online resources or written in house by our staff. We used to link to other sites for articles, but after losing more than a few great ideas because of web sites closing, we have decided to keep copies of the articles on our site. Each article is properly credited to the original author and a link to the original web page is included. If you come across a project that seems to be improperly credited, please let us know by e-mailing us at

Makes it even more funny...sue da bastards!!!

bitterman

Quote from: Quatro on August 21, 2007, 11:06:02 PM
I sympathise with you Bruce and I'm not making lite of the situation but when I saw your post on their site with the name "bitterman" I had to laugh.  I'm sure they see it as you're a biter-man.  I'd be bitter too if someone plagiarised my stuff.   :)

I used bitterman on that site as I use it on every fish forum (most forums I'm on actually). If they think I'm bitter, I don't care LMAO!

I have on a couple forums posted, the steps (Chichlid forum and Cyphos) howerver also pointing out the original resource. I don't mind them having it there, it bugs the heck outa me that is reports that some other guy wrote it.

I sent e-mail to them also and they bounced.

I figured since it had been a while (I knew APW and Sean knew about the issue) that the site had not complied, so I raised a little stink again. They shoudl credit ovas.ca for the article (Also they changed some items, but did not fix the spelling mistakes lol, croped some pictures etc.) and maybe it would draw more good people to our site.

Bruce

RossW

Contact info from their domain registration for aquariumlife.net:

Administrative Contact:
Pardee, Keith
Logo Corner
1117 Cedar St
Lapeer, Michigan 48446
United States

Technical Contact:
Pardee, Keith
Logo Corner
1117 Cedar St
Lapeer, Michigan 48446
United States

Contact info from their domain registration for aquatictalk.com:
Administrative Contact:
Pardee, Keith
Logo Corner
1117 Cedar St
Lapeer, MI 48446
United States

Technical Contact:
Pardee, Keith
Logo Corner
1117 Cedar St
Lapeer, MI 48446
United States

darkdep

They've also posted one of my frozen food recipe articles and credit another guy as well.  They just aren't responding after months of complaints.

bitterman

Plagorism is just flattering right? LOL  Thats sorta the way I'm taking it, just think its stupid that people copy something and take credit for themselves.

If it was not realy a good idea.

Did they take down the aquarium stand article your did APW? I though it was also plagorized.

Bruce

darkdep

Crumpet

Quote from: bitterman on August 22, 2007, 08:28:43 AM
Plagorism is just flattering right? LOL  Thats sorta the way I'm taking it, just think its stupid that people copy something and take credit for themselves.

It may be flattering, but it's a serious enough offence to get a person thrown out of school.  It's theft, plain and simple.
I admire your calmness in this situation, as I'd personally be out for blood.

darkdep

We were both out for blood when this started...months and months ago :)