Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Eheim questions...

Started by Mettle, August 22, 2007, 02:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettle

In terms of the different types of Eheims, is the Classic series the one that is basically a canister with no trays or anything? Allowing you to fully customize the media inside? And the Pro II series has layers and baskets and such?

I'm just looking for different alternatives for my up and coming turtle tank for filtration. It needs to be supr heavy on the mechanical but not as much on the biological.

I was looking at the FX5 at first but think it's probably a bit overkill for what I'm going for. But then again, could work out well. Will have to check out some prices, too.

beowulf

How big will the tank be, or I guess more important how much water will you have in it?

darkdep

If mechanical is your goal, canisters (and ESPECIALLY Eheims) will not make you happy.

Canisters don't do enough flow to provide good mechanical filtration...they're "ok" only.  Eheims, while spectacular flexible and long lasting devices, do even less flow than most other canisters (making them even better biofilters, but even worse on mechanical).

Mettle

The tank is a 90 (48x18xwhatever) gallon tank and will have anywhere from 40-50 gallons worth of water in it.

I know that cannisters have very low flow rates in comparison to hob filters, for example, but I don't know quite what else to use. I was thinking about a pond pump or powerhead of some type to push water through some sort of diy filter but am not even sure about that. I want something easy to clean and that doesn't look out of sorts as this tank will be sitting on a metal two-tier stand. I can't use a hob filter, because the length of the tube will be far too much and I don't want a super loud waterfall in the tank pouring from the top.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

beowulf

I have never used them, but what about internal filters?  Like the fluvals?  Not sure how effective they are but they could be placed anywhere you want in the tank.

BigDaddy

To answer your original question

The classic series have no trays.  You stack media one on top of the other, with sponges acting as barriers or occassionally plastic grates.  The newer model classics have a white plastic basket all your media goes in, so you can remove all media in one step to clean the canister itself.

The big difference with the Pro II is the single quick disconnect for both the suction and pressure side that includes a adjustable flow arm and meter, as well as individual media baskets (2 for the 2026 and 3 for the 2028).  Additionally, the Pro II series have the "Push to Prime" button to get a siphon started.

darkdep

You could look into drilling the tank and doing a sump, with a pump that will do lots of turnover.  For the sump itself, you could use a 5gallon bucket with the pump in the bottom and a crapload of filter floss on top.

Mettle

I don't think drilling the tank is really an option... but out of curiousity, do you know how much that would cost?

I'd just be so afraid of it breaking.  :o And have to make sure it's not tempered glass...

BigDaddy

Depends on the size of the hole(s) you want drilled.  Which in turn affects the size of the bulkhead you can use.  Which in turn affects the flow rate through the plumbing.

Mettle

Hmm... Obviously I have some research to do. Good thing I have a couple of days off to poke around and do some learning. Thanks BD!