Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

help, cardinal tetra health question

Started by greenthumb, August 23, 2007, 01:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenthumb

Hi,

I have some cardinal tetras in a community tank.
The other day one of them changed color. The red under-section became a dull orange/yellow color.

Someone suggested I remove it. So I have done that and put him in a separate isolation tank.
The fish is still quite active and appears ok, but just has lost its red color.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I would really appreciate any help...suggestions...insight.

Thanks

dan2x38

How long you had them? What do you feed them? What decorations & gravel are in your tank? Added any new tankmates?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

greenthumb

Hi,

Thanks for your interest.

I've had them for about six months and have been feeding them a mixture of good quality flakes with occasional frozen brine shrimp.

The tank has been established for about 4.5 years and has quite a few live plants - java moss, ferns, and an anubias

They have done well up until now, but recently I serviced the tank and didn't put the heater back in right away, since the room had been constantly quite warm. Then suddenly one day I woke up and the temperature had dropped quite a bit overnight. So I put the heater back in and gradually have been raising the temperature. That's about the same time I noticed this change in one fish. So I suspect it might have something to do with it.

dan2x38

Guessing I would say the same sounds like stress but I am no pro... there are a lot better qualified than me here that is for sure!!! so your temp. is stable now? no highs or lows?
Voltaire:

greenthumb

yes, the temperature is stable now and the other cardinals seem normal. I thought it was stress too, but generally changes in color because of stress are temporary. I've seen the color fluctuate or change, but in this case it's only one fish and the color just changed and stayed that way. I'm going to keep him in the quarantine tank until I can find out more.

Thanks for your help

dan2x38

I've done that with a tetra that lost a lot of colour a week or so passed his colour came back sent him home he was & is fine.... I think my was a bit stressed got pushed from eating, etc., etc.
Voltaire:

greenthumb

...as the saying goes "all is well that ends well"
I hope this event will turn out the same as yours