Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Heigth above a tank for fish wall?

Started by bitterman, August 23, 2007, 02:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

Well I am hopefully going to build the following:

Wonder if 12" above the tanks is enough for maintenance?

I only have 92" Tall and about 11'4" to fit 2 6' tanks and 2 5' tanks so I am stacking them. The tanks will be drilled so I can us my water change system.

Thanks,
   Bruce

darkdep

I can tell you from experience that 12" is more than enough.  For reference, I have 8" above mine, and it's plenty 95% of the time. If I had of been smart enough to not use HOB's, it would be plenty 100% of the time.

bitterman

Kewl THANKS! So if all goes well I am geting 4 tanks this weekend. Next will be building things and waiting for money for heaters, spong filters etc. I want to sump them, but no $ for a return pump. The top tanks will flow into the bottom tanks, then to the sump, but for now the bottom tanks will go down the drain to remove water as it is added for the water change system.

I'll use 1 Hydro sponge V per 60" tank and 2 per 72" tank. The 60" long tanks will actually have 14" above them.

Now I'm wondering how much heaters I need. I'm thinking 1000-2000 Watts will be needed. Goning to insultate the back and sides of the tanks.

Bruce

darkdep

You'll need less than you think, I would imagine.  Once heated up, the bleed heat from one tank will help heat the ones above it, etc.

Why the sponges if you're sumping?

bitterman

Quote from: DarkDep on August 23, 2007, 03:10:43 PM
You'll need less than you think, I would imagine.  Once heated up, the bleed heat from one tank will help heat the ones above it, etc.

Why the sponges if you're sumping?

Sponges for now and sump later on.

darkdep

Gotcha.  Powerheads?  The sponges with air do a great job with bio, but not much with mechanical; be warned.

bitterman

Quote from: DarkDep on August 23, 2007, 04:02:16 PM
Gotcha.  Powerheads?  The sponges with air do a great job with bio, but not much with mechanical; be warned.

Hmm alot of guys I know that  breed fronts setup this way? Now I'm at wits end. Maybe I'll setup a sump and use the Mag7 from my 65, thenn use the mag12 from my 195 and split it so I get about 150-200 GPH through the 65. I've been thinking of decreaeing the flow in my 195 a bit to help imporve firtilization of eggs when they spawn.

Bruce

artw

its not a bad idea putting a Pro 4 (or whatever the current big power head is, maybe a Maxijet 1200) on a Hydro sponge.   that way you get both mech and bio.

fischkopp

Quote from: artw on August 24, 2007, 08:38:41 AM
its not a bad idea putting a Pro 4 (or whatever the current big power head is, maybe a Maxijet 1200) on a Hydro sponge.   that way you get both mech and bio.
i would not use a too powerful power head when its used for biological filtration. If the water current is to fast the bacteria can't work or even settle. When going for mechanical filtration it will clog the sponge, leaving no surface area for bio.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031