Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Is Chicken/Hen Grit Too Sharp For Substrate? Updated w/ Picture

Started by RossW, August 24, 2007, 11:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossW

Based on some recommendations/tips from other members I purchased some Hen Grit from Ritchie Feed and Seed.  It is crushed white marble, and very nice looking.

I think it will be fine for my African Cichlid tank, but am concerned it may be too sharp for my Sterbai Cories and/or Zebra Loaches.

I will post a pic when I get home.

Thoughts?

Thanx,
Ross

beowulf

I have never used it, but I would worry about anything sharp around loaches due to their lack of scales.

RossW

It is Hen Grit, I do not recall the exact size.  Using my memory... it was the closest to aquarium rock that you would buy at a LFS.

I will post a picture later this evening.

RossW

Here is a picture with a dime in the middle for reference.

[attachment deleted by admin]

audioslave_36

:o wow that is nice, expensive Ross ? I think I am gonna get rid of my bomix and get some of that  ;D

RossW

Quote from: audioslave_36 on August 24, 2007, 09:31:30 PM
:o wow that is nice, expensive Ross ? I think I am gonna get rid of my bomix and get some of that  ;D

Cheap, like $10 for a 40lbs bag or something like that.  I got two bags and I suspect I will have enought for my 90g.

There are also smaller and larger grit... take your pick!

audioslave_36

Cool I'm off to Ritchie's tommorrow morning, wonder if redbelly is still looking for bomix  ???

I guess I can get a better look at while I am at your place in the am.

RossW

I must warn you... it is covered in dust.  Nothing which a hose, bucket, running water, and 30 minutes of your time can't fix though.

audioslave_36

darkdep

I might check this out too for my new tank.  Too bad it's not made of calcium tho :)

babblefish1960

Quote from: RossW on August 24, 2007, 07:42:32 PM
Here is a picture with a dime in the middle for reference.

Speaking specifically about the sterbai corydoras you have or are getting, this is too sharp for their barbels, not a good substrate for them, it needs to be rounder.

beowulf

Quote from: babblefish1960 on August 24, 2007, 11:23:13 PM
Speaking specifically about the sterbai corydoras you have or are getting, this is too sharp for their barbels, not a good substrate for them, it needs to be rounder.

The same could then be said for any loaches which also have barbels.