Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Looking for ammonia

Started by Jeff1192, August 26, 2007, 06:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

I picked up an Eheim 2026 that I got from sniggir today. He was kind enough to provide me with some used medium for bacteria. Now I'm not going to have my tank running until October but he suggested running the pump in a large rubbermaid container and adding liquid ammonia once in a while to keep the bacteria alive. Great idea, except I have no idea where to get liquid ammonia. Can anyone provide me with some ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

By the way thanks again for the filter and great rocks for my future tank sniggir!
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

BigDaddy

Jeff... depending on where in Ottawa you are.. you can come pick up a large bottle of it.  I haven't needed ammonia for a long, long time.

Jeff1192

I'm in the rural east end of the city...so it's a bit far. But if no one has any ideas of somewhere that I can easily find it I would gladly take you up on your offer.

Thanks,

Jeff

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

KLKelly

I'm in Rockland and I found mine at home hardware.  It has to be pure ammonia - with no scents or surfactants added.

dan2x38

Centretown if closer for you and still need some.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

charlie

Quote from: Jeff1192 on August 26, 2007, 06:12:38 PM
I picked an Eheim 2026 that I got from sniggir today. He was kind enough to provide me with some used medium for bacteria. Now I'm not going to have my tank running until October but he suggested running the pump in a large rubbermaid container and adding liquid ammonia once in a while to keep the bacteria alive. Great idea, except I have no idea where to get liquid ammonia. Can anyone provide me with some ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

By the way thanks again for the filter and great rocks for my future tank sniggir!

Jeff , if you are going to the extent of setting up a large rubbermaid container, why not just pack it with some feeder gold fish, no heater required & they should generate  enough ammonia to keep your cycle going.
Regards

Zadig

Ottawa's water has chloramine in it. If you use a chemical to break the chloramine into chlorine and ammonia, you'll have your ammonia. Don't use Seachem's Prime, for example, because it will detoxify the resulting ammonia.

dan2x38

Quote from: Zadig on August 26, 2007, 07:56:53 PM
Ottawa's water has chloramine in it. If you use a chemical to break the chloramine into chlorine and ammonia, you'll have your ammonia. Don't use Seachem's Prime, for example, because it will detoxify the resulting ammonia.

Not to sure that work very well?

Feeder GF what happens in Oct. with them?  :(
Voltaire:

charlie

Quote from: dan2x38 on August 26, 2007, 08:00:43 PM

Feeder GF what happens in Oct. with them?  :(
Sell them or give them away for the purpose they were bred for  ;)

Zadig

Quote from: dan2x38 on August 26, 2007, 08:00:43 PM

Using the ammonia available in our tap water works. I gave that advice a month ago, and witnessed two tanks cycle that way.

KLKelly

And no need to worry about water quality and diseases/parasites with no fish to care for.

Having a bottle of ammonia actually came in handy last week.  It confirmed my ammonia alert card was still working.

Jeff1192

I thought about the feeder fish route but had 2 problems with that....what to do in when I no longer need them (I would feel bad giving them away as food) so obviously I will never have Oscars or Piranha and also the possibility of disease made me figure it wasn't worth it. I'll call around to some Home Hardwares tomorrow and see if I can find some.

Jeff

- George Orwell

BigDaddy

Ask for a brand called "Old Country".  That's the stuff I have used in the past, as have many others.

charlie

Quote from: Jeff1192 on August 26, 2007, 08:45:50 PM
I thought about the feeder fish route but had 2 problems with that....what to do in when I no longer need them (I would feel bad giving them away as food) so obviously I will never have Oscars or Piranha and also the possibility of disease made me figure it wasn't worth it. I'll call around to some Home Hardwares tomorrow and see if I can find some.

Jeff
Jeff , i hear you on the disease & agree, but the food part well that is another story  :-\ ( they were bred & sold & mainly purchase for that purpose) any ways you should get some food for the bacteria soon or they will starve to death  ;)
Regards

Jeff1192

Ya first thing in the morning I'll have to make sure I get some.

- George Orwell

dan2x38

Quote from: charlie on August 26, 2007, 08:53:07 PM
but the food part well that is another story  :-\ ( they were bred & sold & mainly purchase for that purpose)

Please don't tell my son...  8) LOL
Voltaire: