Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

possible parasites?

Started by reptile boi, August 28, 2007, 01:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reptile boi

hey all,

i have had 1 shrimp tank going on for a while now, and i have never really "closely inspected" it until last night when i noticed there are a bunch (not so much of an infestation) but quite a bit of small worm like critters that crawl on the glass. They are about 2-3.5mm long and are white. They move around sorta like a really really fast slug, anyone have any ideas on what these are and how i can terminate them? I also noticed there are a bunch of tiny baby brine shrimp like critters in the tank as well (no, these are not brine shrimp as it is a freshwater tank and i have never introduced brine shrimps or eggs to it.
Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

Laura

No worries, they normally show up as a result of overfeeding.  Do a gravel vac, cut back on the food and you'll see they start to go away.
There are other threads on these guys, I'll do a quick search and see if I find one for you.....
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=11421.msg88856;topicseen#msg88856
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

reptile boi

hey,

i dont think its due to overfeeding (i throw in 1 single bottom feeder pellet once every week and thats about it as far as feeding goes. the bottom of the tank is bare so i cant really "vacuum the gravel" lol. I think these are planarians, are there any freshwater tropical fish that are small enough to eat these guys?

Fishnut

Since you have shrimp, I'll assume that the tank is unheated.  Get yourself a few White cloud mountain minnows and they should enjoy eating the worm like things.

zapisto

Quote from: reptile boi on August 28, 2007, 01:44:43 AM
hey all,

i have had 1 shrimp tank going on for a while now, and i have never really "closely inspected" it until last night when i noticed there are a bunch (not so much of an infestation) but quite a bit of small worm like critters that crawl on the glass. They are about 2-3.5mm long and are white. They move around sorta like a really really fast slug, anyone have any ideas on what these are and how i can terminate them? I also noticed there are a bunch of tiny baby brine shrimp like critters in the tank as well (no, these are not brine shrimp as it is a freshwater tank and i have never introduced brine shrimps or eggs to it.
Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

your worm is probably panaria
if yes you have to get ride of them asap
the only one problem with puting fish in , is your baby shrimp will be also be eaten

your other critters can be :
- Philodina or Monostyla (freshwater rotifer)
- Freshwater Copepods
- Cypris
all good stuff.

sas

Quote from: Laura on August 28, 2007, 07:43:04 AM
No worries, they normally show up as a result of overfeeding.  Do a gravel vac, cut back on the food and you'll see they start to go away.
There are other threads on these guys, I'll do a quick search and see if I find one for you.....
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=11421.msg88856;topicseen#msg88856
               Yes;) agree with Laura. They are disgusting little things! But only a phase if you deal with it properly.  :) We got them when my son was busy with school at the end of the year and ended up just feeding food willy nilly to his tanks. Didn't take long to correct the problem when we found out what was going on.hth

Laura

zapisto - why do you think they're a big problem and do you have any shrimp-safe ideas for getting rid of them outside of more water changes?

Ben/reptile boi - what kind of shrimp do you have?  Also, have you looked up nematodes - could they be your uninvited guests, or are you sure they're planaria?
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

zapisto

Quote from: Laura on August 29, 2007, 12:00:31 AM
zapisto - why do you think they're a big problem and do you have any shrimp-safe ideas for getting rid of them outside of more water changes?
we are not talking about the same worm Laura.
the worm in the link you provide swim , the worm reptile boi talk about was on the glass not the same thing at all.
the worm on the link is just discuting nothing more , and is completly harmless as far as i know.
the worm on the glass if look like one of theese :

are bad and need to be remove asap
they are planaria and will eat time to time baby shrimp

yes i have solution shrimp safe , but dont know if i can talk about that online ...

Quote from: Laura on August 29, 2007, 12:00:31 AM
Ben/reptile boi - what kind of shrimp do you have?  Also, have you looked up nematodes - could they be your uninvited guests, or are you sure they're planaria?
planaria is flat really easy to guess , check my pics

reptile boi

they are in my cherry shrimp tank and i have the one in picture #2, how can i get rid of these? i got a pair of white cloud minnows and they seem to be eating a few.

zapisto

PM me for a quick and fast solution shrimp safe.