Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Algae Issue

Started by Ormarr, August 30, 2007, 11:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ormarr

Hello,

A few questions regarding algae and filter maintenance.  First, some background.  I currently have a 75g African Cichlid tank which currently holds 27 fish (some Yellow Labs, A. Stuartgranti, Ps. Saulosi and Albino BN Plecos).  They range from 1 inch to 2.5, so no adults yet.  My tank has an Eheim Canister Classic 2215 and an Aquaclear 70.  The tank has been well established for over 2 months now and have recently started to have a hair/green algae problem.  I have some plants (a few anubias barteri and nanas), but no CO2 injection.  My tank can do 220W of light, but I only turn half of that on at any given time (since I have no CO2).  I change my water once every 7-10 days (25-30% or so) and I don't believe I am overfeeding my Cichlids.

So, my questions are:

- What are some ways of getting rid of hair/green algae?
- How often should I clean and replace filter media in my AC70 and in my Eheim 2215.  (I have cleaned, but not replaced anything except the bottom sponge in the AC70).
-  Would decreasing/increasing light intensity or duration help? (currently at 8 hours a day on a timer)
- Anything I can add to my water/filter to remedy the situation?
- Anybody ever use http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp17988/si1315843/cl0/phosx4grampouch?

Any help/input is appreciated.

Thanks!

fishycanuck

Hi Omarr
I am risking a reply - it looks as though you may be more knowledgable than I am already. I have never had hair algae, but did have a few episodes of "pea soup" tank especially in the early days.

In general, you can reduce/prevent algae with less light, less food, and less heat. I have used the GreenX pouches to good effect, as well as the phosphorous-trapping filter media. There is an article within the forum about using a complete blackout. You'd have to read it to see if it is appropriate for your plants.

I'm sure you will get more replies, it's a dreary day outside.

MikeM

You might consider a "siesta" on your lighting.  A 2 hour break in the middle of the cycle where the lights go out.  I switched to 4 hours on, 2 hours off, 4 hours on, and noticed a reduction in the green algae growing on the back glass.  The plants can handle the change in lighting, but it takes algae a while to get its photosynthesis started and the break seems to make it harder for the algae to compete.

Ormarr

Thanks, I will try the "siesta" you suggest.  I suppose I already know of a method that seems to work already.  I went out of town not long ago and left the tank in the dark for 4 days without feeding and the existing algae was gone by the time I got  back.  (Tank is in the basement, so no sun light either).  I don't want to have to do a blackout every other week.  Any other alternatives around.  I'll play around with the lighting, maybe use a GreenX pouch and see what happens.

fischkopp

Having green algae is basically not a bad thing - it wouldn't thrive under bad conditions. Having them means they are having advantages over the other plants present in your tank. Algae can take up nutrients a lot faster than plants, and anubias and ferns are not really fast growers. So i would think it might be light issue: its still too much provided that the algae doesnt have competition Having a siesta is a great idea, you may even consider a 4 hours break (suggested by many horticulturists) - algae doesnt like it, the plants wont hurt it. Another thing to try is reducing the light intensity even more or adding some vals to have some faster growing plants.

For filter cleaning: i guess your eheim does the bio, so I wouldnt clean it at all, maybe rinse it every half a year and it should be fine. The AC can be cleaned during every WC, as its main purpose would be mech cleaning.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Ormarr

Quote from: fischkopp on August 30, 2007, 02:45:41 PM
Having green algae is basically not a bad thing - it wouldn't thrive under bad conditions. Having them means they are having advantages over the other plants present in your tank. Algae can take up nutrients a lot faster than plants, and anubias and ferns are not really fast growers. So i would think it might be light issue: its still too much provided that the algae doesnt have competition Having a siesta is a great idea, you may even consider a 4 hours break (suggested by many horticulturists) - algae doesnt like it, the plants wont hurt it. Another thing to try is reducing the light intensity even more or adding some vals to have some faster growing plants.

For filter cleaning: i guess your eheim does the bio, so I wouldnt clean it at all, maybe rinse it every half a year and it should be fine. The AC can be cleaned during every WC, as its main purpose would be mech cleaning.

How often would you suggest I replace the AC's filter media with new media?  Can I get by with rinsing a few times before replacing?

KLKelly

I rarely replace my AC media just to replace it with new.  I rinse it every week with the tank water I'm about to throw out with water changes.  I steal media from my AC110s to start other tanks or quarantine tanks and add a 1/4 of a sponge each time and add back in some of the ceramic biomedia to replace the amount that I've stolen.  The sponge is still in good shape and hasn't fallen apart.  I don't have carbon in my tanks unless I am dosing with medication or I'm worried about a contaminate so it leaves room for more ceramic balls.

fischkopp

Quote from: Ormarr on August 30, 2007, 02:50:44 PM
How often would you suggest I replace the AC's filter media with new media?  Can I get by with rinsing a few times before replacing?

Yeap, I agree with Kelly. Dont remember whether i have ever exchanged the media ;) I usually only use sponges or floss so with a good rinse they can be reused until they fall appart. A bit different are cermics for bio - manufacturers say ther pores get clogged after a while, lets say 6 month to a year, and want you to buy new stuff. I havent done this so far and just gave it a rinse too every couple of months - but never all at once to keep the bacteria alive.

i dont use anything else other then various sponge-kind filter media and ceramics.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Quote from: Ormarr on August 30, 2007, 11:31:30 AM
Hello,

A few questions regarding algae and filter maintenance.  First, some background.  I currently have a 75g African Cichlid tank which currently holds 27 fish (some Yellow Labs, A. Stuartgranti, Ps. Saulosi and Albino BN Plecos).  They range from 1 inch to 2.5, so no adults yet.  My tank has an Eheim Canister Classic 2215 and an Aquaclear 70.  The tank has been well established for over 2 months now and have recently started to have a hair/green algae problem.  I have some plants (a few anubias barteri and nanas), but no CO2 injection.  My tank can do 220W of light, but I only turn half of that on at any given time (since I have no CO2).  I change my water once every 7-10 days (25-30% or so) and I don't believe I am overfeeding my Cichlids.

So, my questions are:

- What are some ways of getting rid of hair/green algae?
- How often should I clean and replace filter media in my AC70 and in my Eheim 2215.  (I have cleaned, but not replaced anything except the bottom sponge in the AC70).
-  Would decreasing/increasing light intensity or duration help? (currently at 8 hours a day on a timer)
- Anything I can add to my water/filter to remedy the situation?
- Anybody ever use http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp17988/si1315843/cl0/phosx4grampouch?

Any help/input is appreciated.

Thanks!

You need to address 2 things, light intensity & nutrients.Plant & algae need both to thrive, in your tank you have a race between a turtle & Ben ( sprinter on steroids  :D), light been the steroid will only make the  anubias barteri and nanas ( the turtle)   go so fast, Mr algae ( Ben) will blast out of starting blocks everytime with the same condition as anubias barteri and nanas ( the turtle)
Regards