Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Snails vs clown loach

Started by Lucie, August 30, 2007, 03:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucie

Hi
I have a single clown loach in my 55g. The tank is slowly getting more and more snails in it. My 3" clown loach doesn't do anything about them. I was thinking of possibly trade-in my clown with somebody that has some effect on the snails (maybe a trio of zebra loaches?) Should I instead try to trap the snails with the cucumber/zuccini/lettuce method? I have been picking out about 30 snails a day, what if they all laid eggs? Yipes! I would like to do something before it's too late (snails everywhere!!!!!)
Thanks!

MikeM

My clowns will go after snails relentlessly until not a single one remains.  Filter cleaning day is always a big treat for them.  I know clowns are much happier in groups.  How long have you had him?  I found mine took almost a month before they were out and about with any regularity.  Are you sure he isn't grazing on them after lights out?

I trapped some pond snails with a cucumber slice during my fishless cycle, it was very easy to scoop out at least a dozen a day that way.  Now there seems to be a small colony in my filter which suits me and the clowns just fine. :)

PaleoFishGirl

More clown loaches :) They like to be in groups of at least 3 anyway.

I'm a big advocate of the film canister method, speaking from experience.  Punch a few holes in the lid, various sizes.  Put it in the bottom of your tank.  Take it out before the lights go on the next morning, it will be full of snails (whether you put food inside or not).  Rinse.  Repeat.

charlie

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on August 30, 2007, 04:15:33 PM
More clown loaches :) They like to be in groups of at least 3 anyway.

I'm a big advocate of the film canister method, speaking from experience.  Punch a few holes in the lid, various sizes.  Put it in the bottom of your tank.  Take it out before the lights go on the next morning, it will be full of snails (whether you put food inside or not).  Rinse.  Repeat.
Can you use prescription pill bottles too ?

MikeM

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on August 30, 2007, 04:15:33 PM
More clown loaches :)
That's the first thing that runs through my mind when I walk into the fish store....  :P

BA Innes has some really small ones, some just past 1"...... so cute, but must resist temptation, I have no more space.... (...yet) but a couple of them might make good friends for your 3" fella.  You'll see way more of your current clown, too.

DavidJohnson

Quote from: MikeM on August 30, 2007, 04:30:26 PM
That's the first thing that runs through my mind when I walk into the fish store....  :P

BA Innes has some really small ones, some just past 1"...... so cute, but must resist temptation, I have no more space.... (...yet) but a couple of them might make good friends for your 3" fella.  You'll see way more of your current clown, too.

BA Kanata has some nice big clown loaches in (4+ inches) but they also come with a hefty price tag.  They had some really nice Blue Botia too (wish I had the tank space for them).  But if space is your concern I'd trade in your single clown loach for a group of 4-5 zebra loaches.  They should be able to reduce the snail population and will be happier and more active than a single clown loach.

Lucie

I would really love to have 3 clown loaches do the job, but with them reaching a possible 12" long, won't it be too much for a 55 gallon. I already have 3 angels, 2 pearl gouramis and lots of smaller fish. Just wondering. (How fast do they grow anyways?)
I think I might consider the trade. Does anybody know whre I might be able to do that? Should I post in the classified?
Thanks

PaleoFishGirl

You can always sell them when they reach a larger size, probably make some money on them too :)

If you are looking to do a trade, post a 'FT' in the classified ads, yes!

PaleoFishGirl

Quote from: charlie on August 30, 2007, 04:17:41 PM
Can you use prescription pill bottles too ?

I have never tried, but it would work.  Just harder to punch holes in the lid, with the film canisters it's soft plastic so super easy.  I guess they might be getting harder to find nowadays though!

Mettle

If you're looking for zebra loaches the Petsmart in the Emerald Plaza on Merivale (formerly Super Pet) has a tank full of 'em. I think they're selling for $4.99/ea if I remember correctly. They're directly across from the discus tank as you walk into the fish room on the left side of the waterfall.

beowulf

I would not go with more clowns unless you are planing to go to a much bigger tank in the next year.  I would actually try and find your clown and new home and either use PFGs method to remove them or if you want loaches 3-4 zebra loaches would be fine as they are good snail eaters.  Your one guy might be eating snails but being alone and if you feed other good foods he just might not be hungry enough to eat all the snails.

Lucie

Thanks guys... I'll probably post a FT on the classifieds this weekend...