Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

sunfish at last!

Started by featherfin, September 02, 2007, 05:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

featherfin

well i finally got my sunfish! it's about the size of a german blue ram and very cute. i got it from a lady that has a tank of them that i met at a pig roast up in buckingham. she also has mosquitofish ( native) and some kind of dace ( also native) that i now have with my ADFs. all are captive bred and so don't have deseases. the only problem seems that it is having an ongoing battle with one of my platties. they chase each other around the tank. i don't know if it will be a problem since neither has ripped fins or seems unhappy. it gets along fine with all the others but the kribensis, which chased it around the tank few times when it tried to pick at its fins, lol! they seem fine now. i plan to move it when it gets to big.

anyways it is eating fine and seems happy.

just thought i would share.

Quatro

We definitely need pictures of those. 

darkdep

For sure!  Very interested.

Jeff1192

I would love to see photos!  :)
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

plecoL83

I would love to see some pics too. :)

irene

Featherfin- What kind of sunfish did you get?  Is the lady you got them from selling more? :) I would love to get a couple of a smaller variety to add to my 33gal native fish tank!  Currently I've got (from the Rideau river) 5 banded killifish, 2 mottled sculpins, 2 tessellated darters and a logperch.  I'd also like to find a tadpole madtom for a different tank.

Does anyone know of a good source for native fish?

Irene

featherfin

it is a blue gill sunfish. i don't actually know who the lady is. she was at the pig roast and lived right next door. we talked about fishing and then of course fish tanks. she said she would give me a sunfish so i agreed and i left with a bucket full of more than just a sunfish hahaha!
i do have a camera but i am terrible with computers so once i figure out how to do it i'll post pictures.

irene:
i don't think the lady actually sells fish, just keeps them so i don't know if i can get any more. i may have baby mosquito fish and daceson if you want some of those. the dace are strange little guys that are about an inch long and have a body shape like a bass's with long black stripes down the body. they also have little ruby throats that are quite nice. the mosquito fish are kind of drab, they are all brown but are quite active.

irene

Sure, I may be interested in some of the dace if you have babies, I could trade you for some plants if you want, always have lots of those :)

Irene

featherfin

for sure  :) how big do the sculpin get? i've been looking at them for a while now.

apuppet

was there not a thread earlier before, about keeping native fishes?  and that permits was needed? i am unsure. perhaps others clarify.

-a
planted

babblefish1960

Yes there is another thread about this, native species are not as easy to contain as there are regulations regarding their collection and confinement. For example, you are not allowed to transport live fish from any lake.

Give it some thought folks, this is illegal, and against everything that the ministry of Natural Resources stands for.

Wild fish are fascinating, but we should enjoy them where they belong, in their natural habitat.

Here is the thread on native fish in question  http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=19111.0

You could also call the Ministry of Natural Resources Info line: 1-800-667-1940.

And putting a pickerel in a 10 gallon tank is like putting an oscar in a goldfish bowl, they need much more room.

irene

I think sculpins and darters are considered baitfish and as far as I know you are allowed to keep them as long as you don't re release them?  They're certainly not endangered.

The sculpins get to be about 5" or so.  They are super cool, they're eating frozen bloodworms no problem and are really interesting to watch.

Irene