Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anyone knows where to cut metal

Started by gvv, September 03, 2007, 03:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gvv

Specifically I need to cut aluminium 2mm thick. Any place that can do it according to my drawing?

darkdep

I don't know of a place, but is it just a sheet thing?  You can get metal cutting blades for a jigsaw, just a thought.

porcupinepuffer

Sounds easy to cut. Is it because it needs to be a perfectly flawless cut?

gvv

Just don't have a jigsaw. I will have to buy it and blades for it, besides need to have curved cuts and want it to look perfect...

But thanks for advise, if I would not be able to find some place, I would do as you said.

Regards

AdamR

If you are going to do it yourself you can borrow my jigsaw, you would just need to buy blades.

AdamR

mlee

Any of the machine shops in town (and there are many!) could easily do it for you.  It may be a little more of a challenge finding one willing to do a small job like that for you and it probably won't be cheap.  I'd guess at least $60 depending on how complex your piece is.  If you'd like the name of some smaller machine shops that would probably be willing to quote the job for you I can give you some numbers.

fyrebull

I see that you are in Kanata, there is a place on Iber Road "Roch Mechanical" they are a sheet metal shop I have had things persicion cut by them before.

KLKelly

Rona on innes helped me with the aluminum roll I bought for my light canopy.  They do cuts and bends.  I only did the bends at Rona though - 50 cents a bend if I recall.  And they said they followed drawings.

Might be worth calling their shop in the back of the store.

gvv

Thank you all for help!

I managed to cut the faceplates and light canopy. The funniest thing that we have some small workshop at work for some prototyping and I could do it there...

But definitely it is nice to know other places where this can be done.

Regards