Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY Outdoor Canister Filter!

Started by dan2x38, September 04, 2007, 11:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

This character really built a great Outdoor Canister Filter. There is no reason this could not be modified for larger or smaller indoor tanks.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

beowulf

Interesting, I wonder how god it is over the long run.

RossW

You should take a look at what Bruce/bitterman did.  It looks more complete in my opinion.

http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=44

dan2x38

Quote from: RossW on September 05, 2007, 10:03:34 AM
You should take a look at what Bruce/bitterman did.  It looks more complete in my opinion.

http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=44

I saw Bitterman's it is way KEWL too... But to different animals...
Voltaire:

bitterman

Quote from: dan2x38 on September 05, 2007, 08:46:25 PM
I saw Bitterman's it is way KEWL too... But to different animals...

Actually not that different at all. Exact same principle. You could combine the 2 of them to allow a user to us my filter without a sump. To do this you can install a bulkhead in the side of the bucket near the bottom. Then use egg crate to raise things so the media is above the location of the bulkhead. Then attach your return pump to the bulkhead you installed in the side of the bucket. The problem with this will be the fact that evaporation will decrease the level of water in the bucket and in short time the pump will be sucking air.  If you have room above your tank, you can easily also build a filter that holds the filter media above the tank and water flows through the media, then back to the tank. All variations of the same idea.

Bruce

dan2x38

Bitterman~ guess I shouldn't say to totally different animals... similar but different...  :D
Voltaire:

darkdep

My only Q is how he's attaching the bulkheads to the side of the bucket; I thought you needed flat surfaces?

bitterman

Quote from: DarkDep on September 06, 2007, 09:34:37 PM
My only Q is how he's attaching the bulkheads to the side of the bucket; I thought you needed flat surfaces?

Flat surfaces are better, but smaller bulkheads will warp the side of the bucket enough to seal. You can also use silicon to make a custom gasket to fit the curve of the bucket. I did this at the mink farm for the watering system for the kits using 10-12 gallon buckets we had.

Bruce

dan2x38

Quote from: DarkDep on September 06, 2007, 09:34:37 PM

If the flanges are thick enough they could be ground or filed down to countour some for a better fit.
Voltaire: