Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Advice for lighting ballasts

Started by PineHill, September 07, 2007, 01:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PineHill

I intend to set-up three 6' long ballasts over my 125 gallon tank with two 39w 3' t5s in each (I will be simulating sunrise/sunset).  I was wondering where I could find such fixtures and where the best pricing would be.  Also if anyone can suggest a better set-up I would be more than happy to hear it.  Thanks.

Chris

speckledmind

Head directly to Buchanan Lighting and talk to Sandy, he's the owner and has all the ins and outs of what you will need to set it up.
Very nice fella.

Cheers,
Denis

BigDaddy

You can fire those with a Workhorse 5 ballast by Fulham.  Litemore on Old Innis carries them.  As well, you could wait for DarkDep to finish his FishRoom teardown, I'm sure he will have some used WH5 for sale.

darkdep

Actually, I won't!  I only use one WH5 at the moment to run 4 tanks.

If you're looking to simulate sunrise/sunset, can I assume you're looking to set up the tubes in this config:

Row 1) -------  -------
Row 2) -------  -------
Row 3) -------  -------

And that you want Rows 1, 2, and 3 to come on/go off at different times?  You will need three separate ballasts for that, along with three power switches and three timers.  The cost of a pre made fixture to do this, if it even exists, would be many many (MANY!!) hundreds of dollars, possibly over a thousand.

But, you can DIY it fairly cheap. 

Parts:
3 Workhorse 5 Ballasts
12 T5 Endcaps (the little ones, non-waterproof, are just fine)
3 Power Switches (AC Rated; 125v 15amp)
3 power cords
3 timers
6 Bulbs
(possibly) a power bar to allow you to plug all the timers in to the same spot

You can get the WH5's and endcaps at Litemore or Buchanan.  Power Switches and Cords at Home depot (Best value:  For power cords look in the extension cord area; you want something grounded.  You can often pick up 25 foot exterior graded cords here for less than $9 each.  Just cut the end off and voila).  The timers you can get at HD or an aquarium store if you want to spend more.  Bulbs you're on your own for.

PineHill

DarkDep is right, that's exactly how I want my lighting layout to look.  Each ----- represents a 3' 39w t5.

I am looking for DIY method and the way you explain sounds pretty simple and cheap compared to if I were to order it from somewhere.  So these WH5 Ballasts are 6' long correct?  And what colour do they come in?  I just want a general idea before I actually go on Saturday.  As for cutting the end off of the exterior graded cords, could you explain where I attack them and so forth.  I'm sure I'd figure it out once I had it all together, its I just don't want to go wrong.

Also any suggestions of where the best place to purchase 6 39w t5s is?  And what kind of bulb I should get (type of light)?

Thanks again

PoisonJello

at ikea you can get 2 timers for $6.99, as for your light parts i recommend Litemor