Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Perfecto 25 - Not Tempered

Started by Funkmotor, September 07, 2007, 09:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funkmotor

There seems to be the feeling that "most" aquariums have tempered bottom panels.  As far as my experience goes, you will find tempered on larger tanks because of the strength it adds to them, but on smaller tanks you don't because the same sort of stresses are not involved and it's neither needed nor worth the extra expense.

But, you know, you read a lot of messages from a lot of people that say that the glass must have been tempered because it shattered while they were drilling it.  From my experience, if it doesn't fall out into a gazillion little pieces when it shatters, then it likely was not tempered glass.  Looks can be deceiving.

So, to satisfy myself completely, I sent an email off to Perfecto/Marineland/Tetra about my very recently purchased 25Gal to see what the glass actually was.

My email to them:

Hello,

I couldn't find the answer to this question anywhere on your site, and all other attempts to get it answered have been met with shrugged shoulders.

Recently I purchased a 25 gallon Perfecto tank (24*12*20, w/black silicon corners, if that makes a difference) and I was wondering if the bottom of it was tempered glass.  It was not marked with a sticker and I don't see any tempering marks, but I thought I should ask before I drill it.

Also, I would think this information should be on your web site...it must get asked often enough, and it would end emails like this one forever.

Thanks very much,
<me>

And their response:

Hello and thanks for the inquiry!  None of the panels are tempered on that tank.

sniggir

good research, if you are looking to purchase a diamond drill bit you can get the cheap ones at preston hardware or you can get them online.. Good luck
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Funkmotor

Really...Preston Hardware?  I work on Preston...might go there at lunch!

darkdep

This is true!  Tempered glass shouldn't be assumed anywhere really.  If you're going to drill, do the research; all the companies have references on the internet somewhere that has the detail on whether the panels are tempered.