Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

plants and fish and lights

Started by Kats, September 06, 2007, 01:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kats

Thanks Dan2x38!  OK, another area to study... plants!!  Let me look at what they are (Hurray for google!) and I'll get back to you shortly.  We just bought double T5 42watt ballast.... would that be sufficient for the types of plants you have?  We have a 46G tank (or will have shortly!!!!)

Thanks!
Kats

dan2x38

Quote from: Kats on September 06, 2007, 01:07:40 PM
Thanks Dan2x38!  OK, another area to study... plants!!  Let me look at what they are (Hurray for google!) and I'll get back to you shortly.  We just bought double T5 42watt ballast.... would that be sufficient for the types of plants you have?  We have a 46G tank (or will have shortly!!!!)

Thanks!
Kats

Lighting for those plants I said? TOTALLY! By the way nice light set-up....
What type of subtrate you putting in?
What about CO2? Can also use Flourish Excel carbon based fertilizer... post in the plant forum for advice
If you are thinking plants with lighting like that want to check into the above...
Want to grow plants not algae, right?
By the way I am jealious of your lighting...!  >:(
You are going to have a nice set-up great to do all the research it pays off...  :)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

charlie

Quote from: dan2x38 on September 06, 2007, 08:41:44 PM
Lighting for those plants I said? TOTALLY! By the way nice light set-up....
What type of subtrate you putting in?
What about CO2? Can also use Flourish Excel carbon based fertilizer... post in the plant forum for advice
If you are thinking plants with lighting like that want to check into the above...
Want to grow plants not algae, right?
By the way I am jealious of your lighting...!  >:(
You are going to have a nice set-up great to do all the research it pays off...  :)
Dan with that lighting she has less than 1 watt per gallon,
I`m surprised  you were not in the chat room, being such a plant guy  :o ???  ;)

dan2x38

Quote from: charlie on September 06, 2007, 09:09:12 PM
Dan with that lighting she has less than 1 watt per gallon,
I` surprised in you were not the chat room, being such a plant guy  :o ???  ;)

I did not do the math on the watts... good point... just heard HO T5 started to salivate!

Kat researched the plants yet? Want some?

Quote from: charlie on September 06, 2007, 09:09:12 PM
:'( x 100 It was my son's 1st Atom hockey practice of the year... his 1st year in Atom... love my tanks, plants, & fish but my son more... have to read the log...  ???
Voltaire:

Kats

Good news.... we only ordered the T5 bulbs, not the ballast so we can still change our mind and go with the better setup!!   :D

I will want plants BUT my problem is that I don't have my 46g tank yet....  :'(

we ordered it wednesday and it won't come in till next Friday!!!   Which part of town are you in?  Can you put some plants "on hold" for me?

Kats

OK...  I did my research and I think that I'd like the Sunset and Rotala.  The others are not having that wow effect with me right now... might change with time and more tanks!!

I'm working on the lighting still... I am not a pro grower yet so all that you asked about I know nothing about... (ie: subtrate, CO2, Flourish Excel carbon based fertilizer)  I will definitely post for more info.

Kats

Dan2x38.... start salivating.... NOW!!

Just got the Glo T5HO - 2x39w ballast!!!  Yeahhhhhh   Not quite 2WPG but close enough I think for the kind of plants I want.

Got it for what I think is a decent price (150$) at PS corner Innes and Jeanne d'Arc.  It's a left over stock they had from when that place was SuperPet...  It does not include the bulbs though  :'(

Do you know where I could go to get the T5 39W?

Thanks Charlie for putting me on that track!!!

charlie

Quote from: Kats on September 07, 2007, 07:13:35 PM
Dan2x38.... start salivating.... NOW!!

Just got the Glo T5HO - 2x39w ballast!!!  Yeahhhhhh   Not quite 2WPG but close enough I think for the kind of plants I want.

Got it for what I think is a decent price (150$) at PS corner Innes and Jeanne d'Arc.  It's a left over stock they had from when that place was SuperPet...  It does not include the bulbs though  :'(

Do you know where I could go to get the T5 39W?

Thanks Charlie for putting me on that track!!!

Nice light Kats  :D, the bulbs  for the 36 inch fixtures are difficult to find sometimes, there is a few sponsors that carry some  such as Az ,Redbelly, & Ray. Petandponds ( online store in Canada) offers the same fixture complete with Hagen bulbs for 174.00 ( good deal).
Regards

http://www.petsandponds.com/securestore/c293075p16873721.2.html

matt

Just stopped by PS Innes (the one that's next to big al's), they carry the bulbs for that fixture. I'm pretty sure they we're around 28$. Good price, considering they were 39.99$ when I bought them at Super Pet.

Kats

Cool!  I'll drop in tomorrow to check it out but I will get mine from AZ's store (opening next week), he said he would carry them so might as well encourage the local merchants!!!   :)

dan2x38

Kats just got rid of a bunch of prunes tonight but will more in a week or 2... just remind me... got a great memory but it is short...

I just broke a tank down because I did not enrich my subtrate when I put my tank up... if you are planning on growing & if you start it is addictive you will need a good substrate... Goggle flourite & laterite... there are more...
Voltaire:

Kats

Quote from: dan2x38
Kats just got rid of a bunch of prunes tonight but will more in a week or 2... just remind me... got a great memory but it is short...

I just broke a tank down because I did not enrich my subtrate when I put my tank up... if you are planning on growing & if you start it is addictive you will need a good substrate... Goggle flourite & laterite... there are more...

Thanks Dan2x38!  I won't be ready to startup my plants for another 2 weeks anyway so the timing is perfect.   Now that I have my lighting decisions all made   ::)  I can start researching what I need for the plants   :D   My brain is in fast forward lately, did not realize how many elements could affect one tiny weeny decision (ie: lights for plants, food for plants, fish that don't (or do) eat plants.....)   :D

Thanks for all your advice everyone!!!!  Great site!!  I'm getting my membership tomorrow, can't wait to meet you all at the meetings!!!