Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Spray Bar VS Output Nozzle

Started by fyrebull, September 07, 2007, 09:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fyrebull

My older and current system has a spray bar, the new system I bought has an output nozzle what is the preferred method for return water? or is it just up to the persons set-up.

beowulf

I prefer the bar due to the more even distribution of the spray across the tank.

darkdep

It's personal preference really.  With a single return you're going to get more in the way of current, with a spray bar you get better surface agitation.

(begin debate as to which is more important)

fyrebull

I thought this may cause a half empty/half full debate but I may be doing a switch over soon. My wife really does not like the sound from the spray bar and I seem to have a constant need to use the washroom... :o Would a good air stone cause enough surface agitation?

kennyman

What noise? You don't need splashing. What I prefer is the spraybar mounted down a few inchies in the tank pointed slightly upward to create full circulation of the entire tank. If you can bring deeper water up to the surface in constant circulation it has a chance to pickup O2 and then head back down. But if you are trying to agitate with top without circulating the tank you are relying on diffusion to distribute O2 8)

fyrebull

Quote from: kennyman on September 09, 2007, 01:12:39 PM
What noise? You don't need splashing. What I prefer is the spraybar mounted down a few inchies in the tank pointed slightly upward to create full circulation of the entire tank. If you can bring deeper water up to the surface in constant circulation it has a chance to pickup O2 and then head back down. But if you are trying to agitate with top without circulating the tank you are relying on diffusion to distribute O2 8)

Thanks, I will try that.

freshwater

use neither. ur canister will filter few extra gallons per hour  ;)

fyrebull

Quote from: freshwater on September 11, 2007, 12:01:34 AM
There's an answer I was not expecting, how does that effect the circulation of the tank?

bitterman

Quote from: fyrebull on September 11, 2007, 08:22:32 AM
There's an answer I was not expecting, how does that effect the circulation of the tank?

You will often have dead spot in the aquarium if you do this, But if you don't want alot of water movement it can be a benefit.  The less surface agitation the better for a highly planted tank with C02.. Surface agitation will cause the co2 levels to drop in the water. However this must be balanced with how much o2 you want in the water based on the fish load.

Bruce

freshwater

Quote from: freshwater on September 11, 2007, 12:01:34 AM

probably not for an African tank, great for discus tho, just an alternative