Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

BN Plecos with FW Dwarf Puffers/Khuli Loaches

Started by PineHill, September 12, 2007, 07:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PineHill

I currently have 3 fw dwarf puffers (bumblebee puffers) and 2 khuli loaches in a 30 gallon tank.  I plan on adding 2-3 BN plecos to the mix if I can grab some juvies off busdriver.  I read that as BN plecos get older they also get more aggressive and very territorial.  Would they harm the loaches or the puffers?  Any advice or experience, thanks.

Laura

We have a male BN that's a couple of years old.  He lives in a castle in my son's fantail goldfish tank.  Doesn't come out much that I can see, except to chase off a fish that's gotten too close to his territory.  He doesn't cause any damage, just chases them off and scoots back to his tower.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

busdriver

The common pleco is more aggressive, in my opinion.
The breeding pair I have are very docile, the only time the male gets aggressive is when he's protecting the eggs and the female doesn't bother any of her tank mates. (discus, cories, rainbow fish, siamese algae eaters, pencil fish and cardinals in a 150)
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

PineHill

For the cave scenario I would be more worried about the khuli loaches since they hide out during the day as oppose to the puffers that occupy medium to high water levels.  So I guess I'd have to watch them carefully but I don't think I should have a problem.  I'm just over-protective I guess.

DavidJohnson

Just make sure there are lots of caves/hiding places so the Kuhli's can have theirs and the BN Pleco can have his and you should be OK.

PineHill

Yea thats the plan.  I have a place that khulis can get into and a BN wouldn't even be able to start, so it wouldn't get stuck either.  Thanks for the advice.

Chris

beowulf

The khulis also will prefer to hide in thick plants if you offer them.  In my case I have about 6-7 of them and they like to hide in this mass of java fern I have growing on a piece of driftwood.  It's kind of funny to watch them pop their heads out, especially at supper time  :D

puffer girl

Hi
    with my experience over a years now , i have 10 dwarf puffers , 4 otocats and a pleco in a 30 g and everybody is ok . The pleco and the otocat live on knight and the puffer during the day , so they are not in the same schedule lol . Everyone still have there fin in place lol .

Martine