Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

test levels and cleaning new gravel

Started by Kats, September 13, 2007, 09:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kats

OK, I just bought a test kit so that I can do my 46G setup right and, just had to test the 5G water.  I've never ever (since it's built up in December) tested the water.

Remember, I have the 5G wanna be a 10G so I have 5 angels, 3 white clouds and a chinese algea eater in there (which I think explains my results)

PH: 6.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 40-80

the bad thing, Ammonia is 8 (very dark green)

YET, every one swims around happily and no one seems all stressed out or in danger!!!  Can someone explain this to me?  I am following the instructions for the test to the letter, I've repeated the test 3 times since and still get the same result.

Any suggestions?   I'm building the 46G over the weekend, I just need the angels to survive until the tank is cycled....  are my reading bad and "endangering" my angels?

Less importantly, do I need to clean new gravel?  How should I proceed?  How about used gravel?

BigDaddy

Which test kit are you using, brand name I mean.

Kats

BigDaddy

I have the old API, which only either stays clear or goes yellow so can't help you from experience.

If you test your tap water, do you get the same result?  You should have little to no ammonia in your tap water.

Kats

Good point Big Daddy, I'll do that as soon as I get home from work!  It might just be a case of the "user is the problem"!!

beowulf

Quote from: Kats on September 14, 2007, 08:31:16 AM
Good point Big Daddy, I'll do that as soon as I get home from work!  It might just be a case of the "user is the problem"!!

Or it could be a defective kit is all.

Kats

I tested the tap water and it came out to 0.5.....   Could it be that the  high nitrate is somewhat balancing the toxic water?   I thought ammonia at that level was mortal for fish yet.... they are still swimming happily   ???

Any theories?

dan2x38

If they are good readings only explanation I could think of is the fish have become accustom to the quailty over time. Becareful acclimating tomorrow... What were your NO2 readings?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

BigDaddy

Well.. do some partial water changes until you can get your ammonia back down to zero again.  Then, monitor your system and see if you get ammonia or nitrite spikes again.