Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What is your favourite fish?

Started by succinctfish, September 14, 2007, 12:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

succinctfish

Or if you can't narrow it down, what are your top three?

My present top 3 favourites,and this is tough are
1)   my Poecilocharax weitzmani, which are absolutely gorgeous and much prettier than any picture of them I've found on the internet
2)   my peacock gudgeons, Tateurndina ocellicauda  http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,%20Peacock%20Gudgeons.htm
3)   my threadfin rainbows, Iriatherina werneri  http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Werneri.htm

It strikes me that these are all little fish.  Honourable mention of course goes to my beautiful angelfish, rams, and Genghis, my flagtail porthole catfish.
Of course I realize I now have six different types of fish here.
Can anyone name just ONE favourite?

Quatro

I would have to say Paralabdichromis Rock Kribs (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1563).  It's surprising, given how much they breed, that I'm not sick of them yet (favorite for 1 year now)

babblefish1960

I found this very hard to decide, it is interesting that with even three possible contenders, that there were so many I had to leave out. Perhaps those of us who struggle with just a few favourites are understandably ensnared in multiple tank syndrome. ;)

All the fish that I picked for my three favourites I have had in the hobby for more than thirty years, yet less than forty. The early years were spent with Africans and livebearers, these are not them.

They are in no order of importance, because they are all special to me.

mikrogeophagus ramerizi
symphysodon discus
and of course the Megalechis thoracata

Here are some pictures:

[attachment deleted by admin]

beowulf

1. Chromobotia macracanthus  aka the clown loach, such amazing fish with great personality and good looks to boot!!
     http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus

2.  Cynotilapia afra (Jalo Reef) another striking fish with some good attitude, the male I have is the king of the malawi tank I have and the two females are good looking also  http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1733

3. I'll have to think about it.

RedFish

My knowledge and experience is very limited compared to the experts on this forum, as is the variety of fish I have kept.

I like all the fish I have, the more interesting ones are those that have distinct personalities but the schooling fish really add to the tank's personality.

1. Apistogramma Cacatuoides - I love the feisty nature of these fish, the male even looks like a bully.   However they are just fine in a community tank, which is important to me.

2.  Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi - a really beautiful addition to my community tank, also curious and seemingly intelligent.

3.  Corydoras - particularily the panda, but I find all of these guys adorable.  When they play in the flow from the filter I stop all other activities and watch!

BigMomma

I'd definitely have to say my favorites are:

1. S. aequifasciata
2. Mikrogeophagus ramerizi

We've been keeping both together for 3 years now, they are very colorful and full of personality!

fischkopp

That is a very hard decision, and will probably change the more years I spend with the hobby, but for the moment they are:

1. Apistogramma bitaeniata - thats the one i like the most from all of my number one apistos :)
2. Dysichthys coracoideus - my banjo cats, i dont see them a lot unless I chase them down with a flashlight, but i love them
3. Pangio kuhlii - Kuhli Loach, they are just fun to watch and always good for a surprise

:D  like this hobby
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

mseguin

I've always loved my "weird" fish, not necessarily the most colourful, just unique.
1. African Butterflyfish (Pantodon bucholzi) - Had one years ago that would hand feed, these guys are just so unique, the one I have now I'm working on hand training as well.
2. Banjo catfish (D. coracoideus), I may not see them often but they are so unique looking and bizarre.
3. Hard to say

dan2x38

Wow what a task!

1. Red Turquoise Discus- Do not have any of these guys yet but I will when I trade up 2 x 29 tanks to a 90.

2. Pearl Gourami- I now have 2 of these characters, 1 male - 1 female; compliments of RossW.

3. YoYo Loach- Always loved these guys finally got 3. They are youngens but they are fun to watch already.

This is just off the top of my head tomorrow or 10 minutes from now it might change. The list is not in any order.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

1. Fancy goldfish - of any kind - except bubble eyes and pompom anythings.
2. Blue Eyed rainbows - I can't get enough of them - signifers and gertudae
3. Clown loaches - don't have any yet : (

PaleoFishGirl

Why is everyone picking three?  ???

Pseudomugil furcatus males... their floppy fins get me laughing every time.

(not my photo)

babblefish1960

Good one DFC, those furcatas always crack me up, they seem like fops yet take themselves so seriously, they are adorable.  And why three, well I know why I have so many tanks, because I always liked fish that weren't compatible.

busdriver

Everyone knows my answer, OSCARS!!! Of course!
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

beowulf

Laura

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on September 14, 2007, 11:33:31 AM
Why is everyone picking three?  ???
'Cause succintfish said pick 3 if we can't narrow it down.

1. SAE - I like how they sometimes move like syncronized swimmers (just without the noseplugs and smiles)
2. Brig snails - their long antenae, and I get a kick out of them intentionally surfing off the flow of powerheads
3. Redline barbs or shrimp - I can't decide.....
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

RoxyDog

anything that's not a discus.  ;)  :P

I'm still partial to my mbuna and kubotai loaches. 
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

succinctfish

Quote from: Laura on September 14, 2007, 01:37:08 PM
'Cause succintfish said pick 3 if we can't narrow it down.

1. SAE - I like how they sometimes move like syncronized swimmers (just without the noseplugs and smiles)
2. Brig snails - their long antenae, and I get a kick out of them intentionally surfing off the flow of powerheads
3. Redline barbs or shrimp - I can't decide.....
Technically, Laura, snails and shrimp aren't fish, but since you're a self-confessed snail weirdo, I'll let it go.   ;D (I had a hard time leaving out the shrimps and snails too  ;) )

washefuzzy

1. My big yellow snail!! I don't care if he isn't a fish!

2. My cories bronze/peppers. They are just funny and so playful.

3. My albino b/n pleco because he is silly.

Fishnut

1. Scarlet Badis

2. Celestial Pearl Danios

3. Black Angel Fish

Do inverts count?  If so, add freshwater shrimp as #3 instead.