Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Glofish found these looking for Norms Glowstick

Started by FishPassion, September 14, 2007, 03:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishPassion

Has anybody ever seen these around here, they dont seem to be the dyed fish that were available a few yrs ago. Another man made fish hmmmmmmmm

http://www.glofish.com/about.asp#science_8
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

babblefish1960

This is a very clever marketing scheme, convince people that these mutant fish being bought as pets will have the proceeds return to the research where these fish are helping scientists monitor our ever changing water courses.  What percentage of the proceeds I wonder?

fishycanuck

BigDaddy

I am pretty sure I saw some at Big Al's Innis when they first hit the market in Canada

Fishnut

Coloured Zebra Danios?!  Sheesh!  What will they think of next?  Anything goes for sucking money out of gullible people.  I wonder f these fish are chemically dyed or colour injected?

Laura

Quote from: Fishnut on September 14, 2007, 08:50:26 PM
Coloured Zebra Danios?!  Sheesh!  What will they think of next?  Anything goes for sucking money out of gullible people.  I wonder f these fish are chemically dyed or colour injected?
They're genetically modified with something like a flourescing coral gene.  I believe they're illegal in some european countries - I remember reading a report in PFK (?) of someone in England breeding them, but he wasn't giving his name as he would get in big doo doo just for owning them. 
Additionally, I think the patent for them makes it illegal for anyone but the company to breed them - I think Glofish Company talked to Monsanto....
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

beowulf

Quote from: Laura on September 14, 2007, 09:25:45 PM
They're genetically modified with something like a flourescing coral gene.  I believe they're illegal in some european countries - I remember reading a report in PFK (?) of someone in England breeding them, but he wasn't giving his name as he would get in big doo doo just for owning them. 
Additionally, I think the patent for them makes it illegal for anyone but the company to breed them - I think Glofish Company talked to Monsanto....

From what I have heard, this would be right.

Laura

Apparently the frankenfish aren't supposed to be in Canada either (assuming the website is accurate).   Excerpt is from the website, but bold/italics are my addition.  Breeding them would also be contrary to the patent according to the website..

Are GloFish® fluorescent fish available outside of the United States?
GloFish® fluorescent fish are currently available for purchase only within the United States. At present, we have no plans to ship our fish to other countries, but we will be sure to update this web page if this status changes.

What colors of GloFish® fluorescent fish are currently available?
Our fish are currently available in Starfire Red™, Sunburst Orange™, and Electric Green™.  If you would like to see spectacular photos of all three lines together please visit our GloFish® Photos page.

Why are GloFish® the only fluorescent fish that can be sold in the United States?
Because fluorescent fish are unique, their sale is covered by a substantial number of patents and pending patent applications. The providers of GloFish® fluorescent fish, 5-D Tropical and Segrest Farms, are the only distributors that have the necessary licenses to produce and market fluorescent fish within the United States. The production of fluorescent fish by any other party, or the sale of any fluorescent fish not originally distributed by 5-D Tropical or Segrest Farms, is strictly prohibited. For additional information regarding GloFish® fluorescent fish license details please click here.

Why can't I buy GloFish® fluorescent fish in Australia, Canada, or Europe?
At present, Australia, Canada, and Europe prohibit the marketing of any genetically modified organisms, including our tropical fluorescent zebra fish, until they are cleared through a formal review process.  For now, due to the time, expense, and uncertainty involved with the approval process, we have no plans to submit an application in either Canada or Europe.  We have recently submitted an application in Australia, although we do not have any indication of how long the approval process may last, or what the outcome will be. Please continue to monitor our website for any updates on availability in these areas.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

babblefish1960

Thanks for that Laura, that certainly clears up the legalities regarding their availability here in Canada.