Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New 46g tank... update

Started by Kats, September 15, 2007, 06:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kats

That is the thing.... we have no clue how it happened....  one day it was fine then crack... badly too... right now we have it up but if we move it, half the back part would fall off....   :o

At least it can stay there till the new part comes in (has to be special ordered). 

Aren't glass top tempered glass?  Do you think the heat from the ballast could have caused it to crack?

dan2x38

Kats sorry to hear about your issues... but yes good news the fish are happy and acclimating nicely... Yes three times pays for all... It's all Good now!
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

MikeM

Quote from: Kats on September 20, 2007, 06:04:08 PM
Aren't glass top tempered glass?  Do you think the heat from the ballast could have caused it to crack?

If it didn't shatter into little shards like a car window, it isn't tempered.  Unless you were getting a lot of splashing against the top, your water was quite cold, and the ballast was running very hot, it doesn't seem too likely it was heat from the ballast.  There has to be a pretty big temperature difference to crack even non-tempered glass.  How close is the ballast to the top?

charlie

Quote from: Kats on September 20, 2007, 06:04:08 PM
That is the thing.... we have no clue how it happened....  one day it was fine then crack... badly too... right now we have it up but if we move it, half the back part would fall off....   :o

At least it can stay there till the new part comes in (has to be special ordered). 

I doubt it is the heat from the fixture, i run the same fixture that sits on the glass top with no issues.
Regards

Kats

Quote from: MikeM
If it didn't shatter into little shards like a car window, it isn't tempered.  Unless you were getting a lot of splashing against the top, your water was quite cold, and the ballast was running very hot, it doesn't seem too likely it was heat from the ballast.  There has to be a pretty big temperature difference to crack even non-tempered glass.  How close is the ballast to the top?

We have the Hagen Glo T5 (2x39w).  It's sitting "on top" of the glass (kinda, it's got little metal feet that hold it), we could not setup the other feet that came with the ballast because the width of the aquarium trimming is too large.  The temperature of the water is 79.9 and the lights are on a timer for 9hours per day.

It did not break into little shards, just one big crack that winded it's way from the back corner to the middle front (at joint) from the lifting part.

Quote from: CharlieI doubt it is the heat from the fixture, i run the same fixture that sits on the glass top with no issues.

I'm glad to hear that Charlie!!  It probably is just a run with bad luck!!

As long as our fish, and plants, are doing well, the rest is trivial (a pain but trivial   :D)

Thanks!